In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1terrier escocés masculino
- Our mascot is a Scottish terrier known as McFog the Dog - very clever indeed.
- The most memorable campaign remarks of 1944 were FDR's mocking defense of Fala, his Scottish terrier, against the charge that he sent a destroyer to fetch the pooch from Alaska.
- The informality of the evening was reflected in the presence of Barney, the president's black Scottish terrier.
- Some passers-by said they had seen a Scottish terrier earlier but didn't know where she had gone.
- Miss Beazley, an 11-week-old Scottish terrier, now has the run of the White House along with her older brother, Barney.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.