In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1to throw sth on the scrapheap — desechar / descartar algo
- at 50 he found himself on the scrapheap — a los 50 años se vio sin trabajo y sin perspectivas de futuro
- Well, you can throw that pledge on the scrap heap of desperate promises never kept.
- The inventor believes the H2N-Gen will serve as a bridge between the present and the time when the combustion engine is relegated to the scrap heap of history.
- All that is required is an artistic mind that finds unconventional uses for unwanted material dumped in scrap heaps, or abandoned in rubbish dumps.
- Now, any director worth his or her salt wants to tackle the kind of subjects and scale that seemed to have been consigned to the scrap heap of cinema history.
- Until the left does this, it'll have to be content to have it's home on the political scrap heap of history.
- A group of aging veterans set out to rescue their beloved boat from the scrap heap by striking a deal to buy it from the Turkish navy and sail it home.
- And the move towards digital and flat-screen TVs is likely to lead to millions of TVs being thrown on the scrap heap.
- When obsolete, an automobile is thrown in the scrap heap.
- With the nuclear scrap heap mounting, federal agencies and industry officials want a formalized recycling program in place to speed up the disposal.
- ‘You never know what it's like with one of these bikes,’ says Mahlombe, pointing to a decaying bike that looks as if it belongs in a scrap heap.
- I met with someone who had actually gone to a scrap heap and who had welded a couple of boxes around their Humvees in order to protect themselves.
- Two men are hoping that it's not bangers and smash this weekend when they race to Naples in a car destined for the scrap heap.
- Most cars did not make it back to the UK but ended their lives on a scrap heap in Naples.
- Is he some crackpot pseudo-scientist consigned to the scrap heap of history?
- What does an art teacher do when faced with a ton of plaster gauze and a bird bath salvaged from a scrap heap?
- What's next for the scrap heap of medical history?
- One looks at artists like Willie Bester, Patrick Mautloa and Kay Hassan who find their materials on the scrap heap and build them into powerful works.
- The car had started to show signs of severe rusting around the body and has in all probability been consigned to the scrap heap.
- By the time the air force and navy finished their attack on the ship, 34 people were dead, 171 injured, and the ship ready for the scrap heap.
- What they left behind was a scrap heap of also-rans and angry old guys.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.