1scrapie masculinoencefalopatía espongiforme ovina femenino técnicotembladera (del cordero) femenino coloquial
- Since the early 1990s, scientists have become increasingly concerned that sheep diagnosed with scrapie may actually have BSE.
- Biologically, the symptoms of the relatively common disease of scrapie in sheep are very similar to those of BSE.
- Since 1997, almost 300 Quebec farmers have been ordered to destroy more than 12,000 sheep feared to be carrying the disease called scrapie.
- Healthy sheep inoculated with tissue from animals with scrapie took years to develop symptoms, far longer than for any other known infection.
- Sheep are susceptible to their own brain wasting disease called scrapie, but this disease has never been shown to be transmissible to humans.