In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ruta marítima masculino
- The fleet concentration period saw the ships drill in keeping sea lanes free of mines, ‘enemy’ ships and marauding aircraft.
- The main mission is the clearance of mines in the entrance to ports, naval bases and coastal sea lanes.
- Other tasks which fall to St Albans include a readiness to protect other Allied warships or merchant vessels passing through the region, and to keep sea lanes open.
- The major trade routes were sea lanes round England.
- Japan's defense of the sea lanes out to a thousand nautical miles sounded modest and did not arouse undue opposition at home.
- After all, the majority of maritime accidents occur in congested sea lanes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.