In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(division of year)estación femeninothe four seasons — las cuatro estaciones
- Her life in Temuka was lived in seasons and catching the food associated with that season.
- She's out to capture the gigantic and ephemeral movements of weather, seasons and daylight.
- Greyfriars Municipal Arts Gallery is changing its opening hours for the autumn season.
- They also learnt not to worry about quiet times in the summer as the winter season is so busy.
- Further, grizzly bear switch resource preferences as the spring, summer, and autumn seasons progress.
- We may still be in the season of spring but summer faithfully follows and forward planning is all important.
- It defies the cold grip of the season by indulging in festivity.
- The following table provides a useful guide to fluctuations in pollen levels in Ireland during the spring, summer and autumn seasons.
- Meanwhile, meteorologists predicted typical for the winter season weather in January.
- When I think of Earth, I think of the variety of the land we have and how it relates to the four major seasons, winter, spring, summer and autumn.
- We are doing different things with different foods as the season changes.
- The temperate regions of southern Australia have four seasons, with cool winters and hot summers.
- The species change with the seasons and conditions.
- We are two-thirds of the way through the winter season without any cold weather or significant snowfall.
- Now most places in the world you have four seasons; winter, spring, summer, fall but not so in Barbados.
- The fruit of apple trees can prove invaluable to different species of wildlife throughout the autumn and winter seasons.
- Flowers, for instance, give pleasure, because they are predictors of fruit later in the season.
- Let's see it sorted out before we revert to the predicted cycle of wet autumn/winter/spring seasons.
- This meant that the Native Americans were no longer ruled by the seasons when planning their food supply.
- But it's both the changing seasons and special events that bring repeat visitors.
2.1(for specific activity, event, crop)temporada femeninothe soccer season — la temporada de fútbol
- the harvest season — la cosecha
- the mating season — el celo
- the cherry season — la época / la temporada de las cerezas
- the Christmas season — la época navideña
- the season of goodwill — la época navideña
- the end of season sales — las rebajas / liquidaciones de fin de temporada
- Most of the striking laborers are young people from Quebec and other provinces who come for the fruit picking season.
- Annuals are flowers that bloom only once; their whole lifetime lasts just one growing season.
- The season of festive goodwill to all men produces a bonanza for family lawyers.
- The best vegetables are coming into season, I love sprouts, parsnips, swede, squash and pumpkins.
- Those managing the illegal operations say that the rainy season is the peak period for removing trees from the forest.
- You know you've reached the peak of the garden vegetable season when the runner beans arrive.
- This is when the fruit of the previous seasons is harvested.
- Right now the new season's lamb is available from the south of England.
- In areas where growing seasons are short, bloom seasons are also short.
- The rainy season has already begun, making access to displaced families increasingly difficult.
- Shiva is offered special food made from the fruits of the season, root vegetables, and coconuts, during ritual worship.
- These trees provide fruit only during certain seasons, but last forever.
- How bad is this year's flu season going to be?
- Father X is not a fan of the modern season and its attendant festivities.
- Here, we look at four foods just coming into season, and why they should be part of your early summer diet.
- New anti-terrorism measures will increase security costs just as the peak summer travel season approaches.
- There has been much back slapping and praise over the fact that we have grown enough food this farming season.
- A variety of special articles are featured during religious festival seasons.
- Vegetation, on the other hand, can follow the climatic seasons.
- In this tropical climate, there is a rainy, monsoon season from May to October.
- I am quite tough with myself when it comes to eating food out of season.
- Some birds may remain paired year round, but pair bonds typically last a single breeding season.
- The fruit season can be from June through March with the highest yield from August to December.
- We shift the menu around to accommodate the best food of the season.
- The months slid by and the frozen fruit was still waiting when this season's fruit arrived at the greengrocer.
- The culminating night of the season will also feature a fireworks spectacular.
- By contrast, Alias has built an entire season around the blessed event.
- Severe stress early in the season can reduce fruit set, and later stress reduces berry size.
- Scented spring white wines work wonderfully well with the new season's vegetables
- We need to extend the season for local foods in cold climates with preservation.
- With half of the season already over, fruit lovers feel they have to wait till next year to enjoy the delicious mangoes.
- The drama of Holy Week stands squarely between the seasons of Lent and Easter.
- Based on previous years' statistics, the coming summer holiday season will see dozens more.
- Their diet changes with the seasons as different food sources become available.
- He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither.
- Potted peppers often have a tendency to dry out faster, drop blossoms and even stop producing fruit after a few seasons.
- Is this really the best thing Foer has to do during one of the biggest events of the campaign season?
- How much money do you plan to spend this upcoming holiday season?
- And straight ahead, it's been a disastrous hurricane season so far, and it's not over yet.
- This season's highlights include events that people have been looking forward to for years.
2.2(suitable for tourism)temporada femeninothe tourist season — la temporada turística
- at the height of the season — en plena temporada
- high/low season — temporada alta/baja
2.3(in social calendar)the season — temporada en la que tienen lugar los acontecimientos sociales más destacados del año
3Televisión Cine Música Teatrotemporada femeninoafter a season in Brighton, the play moved to London — después de una temporada en Brighton, la obra fue llevada a Londres
- a season of Buñuel films — un ciclo de películas de Buñuel
- an Australian season — un ciclo de películas (or obras etc.) australianas
1Cocinacondimentarsazonar(with salt and pepper) salpimentar
- The champ mash is a rich mixture of potato, cream, butter and scallions, well seasoned with pepper.
- Salt is good for seasoning food; just a little brings out the best in it.
- Toss the venison in the flour which you have seasoned lightly with salt and pepper.
- The next day finely dice the tomatoes and add the remaining ingredients seasoning to taste.
- Most food is highly seasoned, and soups are commonly served with dumplings.
- Lightly oil and season the steak with salt and black pepper then cook on a hot grill or ridged grill pan.
- Seasoned well with fiery spices, vanilla and vibrant tannins, it also manages to be exceptionally smooth.
- Seafood dishes, including shrimp, are popular, often served with rice and seasoned with spices.
- The meat was nicely seasoned, but too dry.
- Broken into a bowl, two eggs seasoned with salt and pepper are briefly but strenuously beaten.
- Arab Americans have a distinctive cuisine centered on lamb, rice, bread, and highly seasoned dishes.
- Dishes are seasoned heavily with local spices.
- Among the main dietary staples in Eritrea is a flatbread eaten with a stew seasoned with pepper.
- Season with ground cumin, black pepper and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside, keeping warm.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, plus some salt and pepper to season, and stir well until combined.
- The grilled pork is excellent, with a hint of charcoal coming through the chopped pieces of lightly seasoned meat.
- Lamb is great marinated in wine or seasoned with garlic and rosemary.
- Stir in the thyme, lemon zest and parsley and toss together, seasoning well with salt and pepper.
- Food is fried in mustard oil and liberally seasoned with garlic, onions, and fresh ginger.
2(wood) secar(wood) curar
- The most thing that makes a difference to emissions is whether you use green wood or seasoned wood.
- Since wood is seasoned before use, the time between felling and working must be added in order to arrive at a probable dating for the object.
- The damper is always open, the wood seems well seasoned and dry.
- The main criteria is that the wood has been seasoned fairly slowly.
- It is best to burn only seasoned wood for maximum heat release, less creosote buildup, and economy.
- It has for long been thought that, as wood is seasoned outdoors and turns grey, darkening the ground beneath it, harsh tannins are being leached out of the wood.
- Have your chimney swept regularly, use a fire screen, and burn only seasoned wood.
- But, if you must, please make sure it's dry, seasoned wood, and only burn in an EPA-certified wood-burning device.
- Even well seasoned firewood can be ruined by bad storage.
- Oak trees on the estate were felled and seasoned to provide the massive beams for the timber-framed construction.
- Teak wood is considered superior to other types of hard woods because once it is weathered and seasoned, it takes a lot to crack, split, shrink or alter the shape of teak wood.
- If you are going to use the tree for firewood it must be seasoned properly.
- If you are buying logs for immediate use make sure that your supplier can give you an assurance that the wood has been seasoned.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.