In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(intelligence service)servicio secreto masculinoservicio de inteligencia masculinoservicios de inteligencia masculino
- I wonder if the Bulgarian secret services are spying on foreigners.
- As a whole, last week Sofia seemed to be one of the favourite places for former secret services officers.
- The CIA and the FBI have informed the Bulgarian secret services of their findings.
- In other words, the various secret service agencies and the government itself will be even less accountable.
- In reality, the line dividing the organisations being spied upon and the secret service itself is barely detectable.
- The woman, Cindy, was an agent of Mossad, the Israeli secret service, and her back-up team were lying in wait.
- The government and secret services don't appear to have learnt their lesson from that saga, but then are you surprised?
- Word spread that the Iranian secret service, Savak, was combing the streets for him.
- Belling's character then argued that the government needs a secret service that will tell the public who the enemy really is.
- But civil liberties campaigners are now worried that the Catcher may be sold to other governments or secret services.
- It is allowed to carry out surveillance like a secret service, and has the judicial powers of a regular police agency.
- His affidavit was made on behalf of the British Government and its secret service.
- Some time later it became known that at the time of the attack he was an undercover agent for the secret service.
- The most useful information a bank can have is that from the government or secret services, he argued.
- The new secret services assisted the government and parliament in preparing new legislation with which to govern themselves.
- Several Allied secret services such as SOE were eager to assist in these tasks, sometimes with political objects in mind.
- In a desperate act of revenge, assisted by the US secret services, the Spanish government is threatening to reopen the case.
- The secret services are currently split between departments, and live outside proper ministerial and parliamentary accountability.
- He also appoints the heads of the other secret services in the state - National Security Service and the National Guard Service.
- Then we also thought to introduce limitations for former officers and agents of secret services regarding their access to positions of power.
2(in US)the Secret Service — organización cuyas funciones incluyen la protección del Presidente y evitar la falsificación de moneda
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.