In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But that process, however closely coordinated with U.N. secretariats, is still technically unilateral.
- His successor at the peace secretariat is expected to be appointed after Sri Lanka's presidential election on Nov.17.
- Mitterrand quickly favoured Jospin and by 1973 had already brought him into the national secretariat of the party.
- This applies in particular to their secretariats that are tightly controlled and steered by a handful of developed countries.
- There are suggestions that regional health secretariats and youth centres might serve wider Commonwealth functions.
- They are processes that legitimize political activity by international secretariats on behalf of their organizations.
- Plantlife International hosts the secretariat for Planta Europa, the network of organisations working for plant conservation across Europe.
- The spokesman said the bureau had made arrangements to provide secretariat and administrative support to the panel.
- The group's secretariat is usually provided by an outside body, either an NGO or a consultancy.
- He is a member of the national secretariat, the five-member board of the party's leadership.
- In fact he formed a special committee in the cabinet secretariat to work out special tourist packages for the islands.
- Significantly, neither the government information ministry nor the presidential secretariat has responded to criticisms of the raid.
- Uzbekistan joined in June 2001, when the body was restructured with a permanent secretariat headquartered in Beijing.
- They marched to the state government secretariat chanting slogans condemning the administration's attitude to the dispute.
- The bank, dominated by the US, not only houses its secretariat, but provides its current chair.
- Now the general secretariat can only take action on the initiative of the prime minister.
- Santa's national secretariat is embroiled in several disputes with other Santa hospitals throughout the country.
- The parties in every country have their own special women's committees, secretariats and bureaus.
- The al-Sadr movement has a representative in the general secretariat.
- The Council formed a permanent secretariat in Brussels to assist its work.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.