In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The key, he believes, is insulin, a hormone secreted by the pancreas gland.
- Sweat is secreted by glands in the skin when it is necessary to lose excess heat from the body.
- Melatonin, produced naturally from the amino acid tryptophan, is a hormone secreted by a gland in the brain.
- Among other functions, the pancreas secretes enzymes that aid digestion and produces hormones that help regulate the level of sugar in the blood.
- Follicle cells also secrete the materials of the vitelline envelope and eggshell that surround the mature egg.
- Gluconeogenesis is a process where the liver secretes enzymes necessary to convert amino acids from proteins into glucose.
- Natural interferons are a group of small proteins secreted by cells following viral infection.
- In Drosophila species, the male accessory gland secretes seminal fluids transferred to the female during copulation.
- A male sex gland about the size of a walnut, the prostate secretes a thick fluid that is a vehicle for semen ejaculated during orgasm.
- Your pancreas secretes enzymes that aid digestion and hormones that help regulate the metabolism of carbohydrates.
- During delta sleep, the pituitary gland secretes a growth hormone that stimulates tissue repair, allowing muscles to mend.
- This gland secretes digestive juices that help in breaking down foods.
- Tadpole pituitaries secrete thyroid-stimulating hormone in response to CRH.
- Certain bacteria in contaminated food or water can release a toxin that causes your intestinal cells to secrete salt and water.
- The matchstick-like cells secrete a liquid which protects the brain and spinal cord from impacts.
- Human sebaceous glands secrete a lipid mixture of mainly triglycerides, wax esters, free fatty acids, and squalene.
- Macrophage cells secrete chemicals that can dissolve bone under an implant.
- The cells secreted insulin and thrived as new blood vessels grew toward them.
- The glands secrete parathyroid hormone, which is the primary regulator of calcium homeostasis.
- Secretory diarrhea occurs when the large bowel secrete fluid and electrolytes into the lumen.
- The bulk of the stash was found secreted in a false ceiling while the rest was hidden under the couple's bed.
- Nonetheless, in my view, as will be seen, the two most important bottles were secreted and hidden by the accused.
- Hardly had we secreted ourselves when we spied a flotilla of a Roman expeditionary force sailing hard upstream.
- They might be secreted behind a special door, hidden from sight by shadows or a secret knock.
- The vials were secreted in a briefcase hidden in a truck in the courtyard of the house.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.