In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(against crime, espionage etc)seguridad femeninoa breach of security — una infracción de las normas de seguridad
- tight security was in force — se habían extremado las medidas de seguridad
- before noun security alarm — alarma de seguridad
- security forces — fuerzas de seguridad
- there's been a security leak — ha habido una filtración
- security measures — medidas de seguridad
- security officer — encargado de seguridad
- security precaution — medida de precaución
- a security risk — un peligro para la seguridad
- security system — sistema de seguridad
- Dealing with national security is always a matter for the executive, and that is how it should be.
- There is no such thing as complete security against crime, or against terrorism.
- How exactly does all this improve U.S. national security for the long haul?
- President Bush put terrorism and national security at the center of congressional races.
- Our nation's security is not just the responsibility of the armed forces.
- That ability made him not only a danger in the region but a threat to America's security.
- The war was not justifiable on grounds of an immediate threat to US security.
- Wealth is therefore an instrument in the creation of national security and national welfare.
- She complained about the country's lax security and lauded John Kerry for his defiance of the President.
- None of these three countries poses a real threat to United States security.
- So therefore, an educational system, based on reason, is a vital matter of national security.
- Terrorism has long been included on the list of so-called new transnational threats to state security.
- The National Party considers matters of national security to be of the highest importance.
- Nicknamed the Jersey Girls, they became experts on national security and terrorism.
- A second factor relates to reputedly lax physical security and accounting systems at many nuclear weapons enterprises.
- But the role of the Government is also to provide safety and security for its citizens.
- One of the first matters is the need to assist aviation safety and security.
- Tony Blair was warned six years ago that religious fanaticism would become a serious threat to UK security, it has been revealed.
- What is the director of homeland security for, other than to announce threats to homeland security?
- Only in retrospect did we become aware how lax US airport security had become.
1.2(department)departamento de seguridad masculino
- The Security Council gave new authority to Mr Mehlis, who returned on Monday to Lebanon amid tight security.
- The players touched down in New Delhi at 1430 hours on a PIA flight amid tight security arrangements.
- Elea then set up a series of security measures to ensure that sure an occurrence could never happen again.
- At Stansted, armed guards lined the access road to the terminal which was closed for five hours amid heightened security measures.
- A council will look at ways to fund extra security measures at cemeteries after 14 headstones were kicked over.
- We must ensure there are tight security controls at the venue and at the athletes' accommodations.
- The governor came to the temple with his wife, amid tight security.
- In the short run, America will tighten border security.
- Indonesia's military and police are providing tight security for the team during its trip.
- Smith landed at Manchester Airport just after midday amid tight security and a blizzard.
- You will have a virtual free rein to provide security as you see fit.
- Both exports and imports fell in part because of tighter security measures.
- A huge team of people will ensure that the necessary security measures are in place.
- City institutions were just told to make sure that their existing checks and security procedures were working.
- All the fuss, tight security and checks led to long waits and traffic snarls.
- Border security was tightened just as the U.S. slowdown was forcing legions of migrants to return to Mexico.
- Indonesian Christians will celebrate Christmas amid a tight security in the world's most populous Muslim country.
- More rush on the tracks would of course entail more security measures.
- Once in place, said Moynihan, it's crucial that tight security procedures and policies are maintained.
- He has been campaigning for more than a year for tighter security at the site.
2.1(safety, certainty)seguridad femeninochildren need emotional security — los niños necesitan seguridad / estabilidad en el plano afectivo
- financial security — seguridad económica
- A new University of Queensland research project could lead to improved internal computer network security at banks and financial institutions.
- Having a job did not necessarily guarantee economic security for African American workers and their families.
- They will give increased security of tenure for the tenants of agricultural holdings.
- The problems could relate to declining health, declining income or declining emotional security.
- With it, you can improve Internet security for remote workers.
- A deep sense of insecurity grips you and you begin to clutch at emotional and material security.
- They would all have more cash to provide job security and job creation.
- What should we be doing to ensure vaccine safety and security against external threats?
- Other costs include the introduction of bio security against bird flu.
- As in London, the force's chiefs said they hoped to balance security against people's rights to protest peacefully.
- A notch in the rear dovetail provides additional security against ring movement.
- But it can make major strides to bolster the country's financial security.
- He has ensured security of tenure for those whom he has backed.
- For one thing, we are afraid, and in times of fear we crave security above all.
- Colonialism is no longer seen as a threat to peace and security since there are no more empires left.
- If you can't budget effectively, you endanger your financial security by spending more than you earn.
- The only true security against nuclear dangers is an enforceable ban on all nuclear weapons.
- You are able to drop old fears and apprehension about material and emotional security.
- State policy for ensuring information security during military conflicts has a prognostic, organizational and administrative function.
- The US Food and Drug Administration announced rules today that will enhance the security of the US food supply.
- Small flechette pistols were sold to give civilians a sense of false security against thugs.
- According to him however, Government has to guarantee security against international threats.
- What are the recent scientific and technological developments that enhance aviation security?
- The Green Revolution ensured food security at the macro level, but not completely at the household level.
- Fallback resources provide security against errors in other setting mechanisms.
2.2(protection)seguro masculinogarantía femeninomy security against want — mi seguro / garantía contra la necesidad
(guarantee)garantía femeninoto stand security for sb — servirle de garantía a algn
- before noun security agreement — contrato de garantía
- If the bank does not get security against the borrower itself, it is difficult to see how it gets it against third parties.
- The plaintiffs say that this property could be put up for security for costs.
- The money was being used as security for costs until the appeal was completed.
- The whole business of pledging - parting with goods to act as security against a loan - is also changing, Kempson said.
- David has offered the Ace Patent to me as security against this money, which, quite frankly, I am not prepared to accept.
3.2securities pluralFinanzasvalores masculinotítulos masculinogovernment securities — bonos del Estado masculino
- before noun the securities market — el mercado de valores
- securities portfolio — cartera de valores
- These are pooled investment funds which give access to a wide spread of shares and other securities such as bonds.
- Most securities that trade this way are penny stocks or are from very small companies.
- Already we have seen how important are the securities and derivatives activities of modern banks.
- An adviser executive sells mutual funds, bonds and other related securities to customers.
- One should remember that most of the option theory was developed for financial securities.
- Generally, you shouldn't have more securities in your portfolio than you can keep track of effectively.
- For those with an interest in individual securities, there are stocks and bonds to meet every need.
- The Fed uses this cash to purchase securities from primary government bond dealers.
- Finally, you can gift shares and other financial securities to charity and get tax relief on their market value.
- Most of the respondents had experience in investing in the stock market and other securities.
- A mutual fund firm invests in a broad range of stocks or other securities on behalf of a large number of individual clients.
- As we mentioned earlier convertible bonds are rather complex securities for a few reasons.
- The duration of gilts, bonds and interest bearing securities will not exceed 2 years.
- But before you go and register all your securities into joint ownership, there is a catch.
- The securities trade like stocks when the price of common shares moves above the conversion price.
- The new rules also make donating mutual funds, stocks, bonds and other securities more attractive.
- Junk bonds or high yield bonds are securities issued by companies that aren't in the best of health.
- It was mainly leverage created by borrowing to finance securities purchases back then.
- Instead, I propose to levy a small tax on transactions in securities on stock exchanges.
- Most of these securities were financed by British and Dutch investors.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.