In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He's only 15, but thinks like his dad, a pompous self-important academic.
- His sense of humour, always in evidence, made it impossible for him to seem pompous or self-important, and he never attempted to disguise his own fallibility as a human being.
- The sobriety of the streets is relieved by bridges with self-important towers or slightly pompous lions and griffins with gilded wings.
- As if concerned that his rants may appear too smug or self-important, he tempers them with spoonfuls of self-loathing.
- It was funny that two former fashion victims now find their former world overbearing and self-important.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.