In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Their real skills are in playing politics, going to meetings, wandering around giving orders, self-justification and backstabbing.
- In their search for some kind of self-justification, for a sense of moral purpose, Western elites turned to the international arena.
- The remainder is blighted by alternating self-flagellation, self-justification and unwarranted extrapolation.
- It can be legitimate to write the brief after the concept has emerged, but there is danger of self-justification narrowing the vision.
- He wrote a long and detailed account of Nelson's death, partly in self-justification, to say he did everything he could to save the country's number one hero.
- This approach to self-justification is the practical equivalent of psychosis insofar as it is a refutation of empirical reality, a refutation of human reason and a denial of human history.
- As a consequence, American journalism makes extravagant gestures of self-justification.
- At once foggy and focused, the media lexicon of self-justification rolls on.
- Do you mean that some coaches indulge in self-justification?
- Unfortunately, the proposed code appears to be little more than another exercise in self-justification by the commission.
- The role of Quentin, garrulously veering from self-pity to self-justification, is a difficult one.
- Few sportsmen have ever been so consumed by preoccupations with image, publicity and puerile self-justification.
- The group's self-justification became even more pronounced when we suggested that this was surprising given the level of talent of each member of the band.
- The battle scenes are suitably bloodthirsty and chaotic, but they are balanced by scenes of self-justification and soul-searching.
- The text is at once self-justification and foamy-mouthed invective against the world.
- Fortunately for my peace of mind, which you might call self-justification, satisfied reactions to reviews vastly outnumber the rest.
- With two complicit systems of self-justification and self-fulfilling incomprehension reinforcing the divide, is there any way forward?
- Doubtless, such differences may be rooted in self-justification.
- In these matters the scope for self-justification is vast.
- Even if they wrote their thoughts down in their memoirs, you don't know if these were just self-serving lies made up as post facto self-justification for a place in history.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.