In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The painting was, after all, undertaken as a gift to send to Arles in exchange for a self-portrait by van Gogh.
- As one of about eighty self-portraits Rembrandt produced over his lifetime, this painting may have been adapted by a student after failing to sell.
- I consequently started painting my logo, a stylized self-portrait based on the shape of my own skull.
- In a self-portrait we see the artist's chief creation, him or herself.
- Over the years, charted by his self-portraits, Rembrandt evokes varying aspects of character and the process of ageing itself.
- Throughout history, artists have created portraits and self-portraits.
- McGurran is best known for her paintings of women, including a number of surrealist self-portraits.
- Five watercolours, including self-portraits and a portrait of his wife, Helen, will also be added to the exhibition.
- Meanwhile, amazing though it may seem, there is room for more study of Rembrandt's self-portraits.
- Does the same signifying phenomenon convey more when an artist visualizes a self-portrait?
- This figure is usually interpreted as a self-portrait of van Eyck in the act of creating the very image before our eyes.
- The sketches included a self-portrait drawn by the artist in 1937.
- Smaller white spots mar a self-portrait by van Gogh and are comically misaligned with his facial features.
- There are also a couple of portraits and self-portraits, as well as busts sculpted of bronze.
- Does all this prove that Rembrandt made self-portraits in order to understand himself better?
- It also serves as a symbolic self-portrait of the artist within these systems.
- So notable was this presentation of self that a number of artists painted self-portraits in which they attempted to make themselves look like Rubens.
- It is a self-portrait, with the artist depicted with closed eyes, and he initially appears asleep.
- Kim's oil paintings are detailed self-portraits, which, she said, tend to show a lot of skin.
- However, it is in the portraits and, above all, the self-portraits that the real explanation for his enduring popularity is to be found.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.