- The Statute of Autonomy fell short of the self-rule that Basque nationalism demanded.
- At various times in the twentieth century, they have also tried to attain autonomy or self-rule.
- It began to conduct major political campaigns for self-rule and independence.
- A number of very different cultures have shown themselves capable of self-rule.
- The country was not any closer to even a semblance of self-rule.
- Panama, though, seldom had the freedom of self-rule.
- It is far more accurate to say that what success we have seen of democratic self-rule in the ex-colonies has come about, not because of colonialism, but in spite of it.
- Americans, on the other hand, believe that democracy requires self-rule.
- If it does not include a strong component of local self-rule, it should.
- They want independence, or at least self-rule, and they almost got it after 1996.
- They insist on this to protect their self-rule in three northern provinces.