In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1self-service restaurant — self-service masculino
- self-service store — autoservicio
- To cut costs, many retailers have been introducing productivity-boosting measures, such as self-service checkout lines.
- On the entrance floor level, the Winter Garden has a self-service restaurant and dining area and a shop where the emphasis is on fine art publications rather than tasteful tea cosies.
- The fact that Ikea is a self-service store that doesn't do business over the phone doesn't really strike me as something to get quite so bothered about.
- Britain's first self-service store, Sainsbury's, opened in Croydon.
- If he takes goods in a self-service supermarket he may be guilty of both offences.
- Before 1950, when the first Sainsbury's self-service store opened in Croydon, shoppers used the parade of ‘convenience stores’ known as the high street.
- In a self-service store, I buy matches from an Indian woman in a sari of deep colors.
- They make store checkout scanners, including self-service scanners.
- The former stables and coach house are now studios, workshops, retail outlets and a self-service restaurant which overlooks the cobbled courtyard of Kilkenny Castle.
- Friends thought Tomás Garvey was mad when, in 1969, he decided to open Dingle's first self-service grocery store, a revolutionary concept at the time.
- On my return, I converted the Brigade Road store into a self-service supermarket.
- While they reported that some items were better suited to a specific type of service, the conclusion was that the average weekly turnover of the self-service shops was 37 per cent higher than that of their counterparts.
- Those customers that do self-service transactions are the ones who are most satisfied.
- The emergence of self-service grocery stores and the subsequent development of supermarkets have helped to transform the culture of British retailing and, with it, the way people shop.
- Now, in some stores, even check-out is self-service, meaning labor in the grocery store is almost entirely out of sight.
- The stall became a shop, and in 1962 the young William opened his first self-service store in an old Bradford cinema.
- The very idea of a self-service grocery checkout is strange and wonderful.
- There are both non-smoking and smoking areas in the restaurant and a self-service counter.
- These days, shoppers can use self-service checkouts at supermarkets, which in the future could remove the need for staff.
- Should customers require any assistance using the self-service checkouts for the first time, our staff are always on hand to help.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.