In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We want to change the system so that the selfish and self-serving villains don't feel the need to harm others.
- If we act in a purely selfish, self-serving manner, then the future fruition of that action will be negative.
- Why did many left-liberals regard him as a self-serving betrayer of their principles?
- The man's principal talent is for spinning self-serving tales.
- Of course it doesn't help that a lot of conceptual art is devoid of substance and that those cards are mostly self-serving inane twaddle, but the principle is there.
- Could it be the posthumous public pronouncements were really only shameless self-serving exaggerations?
- Regrettably, the debate is so laden with emotions and self-serving arguments that the facts are often overlooked.
- We will be spared the horrors of greedy, selfish and self-serving individuals who trample over people so that they can get a million dollars.
- There are too few facts and too much self-serving fiction.
- That is so self-serving and selfish in my opinion, so that's the last thing I want to do.
- The campaign to put a spoke in the wheels of efforts to clean up the customs service has descended to the level of self-serving media manipulation.
- The production in India was more self-serving than anything else.
- She turns on her own staff to make a selfish, self-serving deal behind closed doors that later gets revealed.
- The union had no room for self-serving demagogues.
- Fisher's attitude was emblematic of the insular and self-serving culture that has dominated the general committee for decades.
- Though critics of Clarke have charged him with self-serving theatricality, he looked and sounded absolutely sincere to me.
- The public had seen ‘nothing more than a self-serving determination to protect their vested interests’.
- Instead, debate is often overwhelmed by superstition, folk wisdom, prejudice and self-serving agendas.
- How can you be confident of the self-serving agenda of an agent?
- Years of benign neglect on the part of her parents are followed by an intense self-serving attention that masquerades as love.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.