In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(pianist/carpenter/artist) autodidacta(pianist/artist/carpenter) autodidactohe was self-taught in French — aprendió francés solo / por su cuenta
- The only credentials they had to open a business were their self-taught skills.
- Many of the artists who use the library are self-taught and make use of the books to develop their skills.
- There is the very real input from self-taught artists in the developing world.
- Because he could not afford full-time training, he was mainly self-taught as an artist.
- He is a self-taught architect with no degree or professional training in architecture.
- They had become self-taught sailors on the lake, teaching themselves the necessary skills and knots.
- It was years before the self-taught artist found his own style - and recognition.
- As a drummer he was self-taught and never took lessons.
- He is a self-taught musician, which makes his life path and progressions that much more implausible.
- Because he was always painting at the outer limits of his ability, as self-taught artists must do, he never progressed in the traditional way.
- Their predecessors were also inspired by the work of self-taught artists but did not often acknowledge their influence.
- A self-taught artist, it was in 1997 that he first started wielding the brush.
- He is a self-taught artist who began to develop his artistic skills at a very early age.
- He was one of the greatest self-taught artists Trinidad has produced.
- His knowledge is mostly self-taught and is the result of his passion for wine as a hobby.
- He was a self-taught, spare-time artist who supported himself by working for thirty-nine years in a bank.
- In a country largely without formal higher education, they were self-taught thinkers.
- Yes, I am completely self-taught, though not particularly well!
- Kent is a self-taught artist who for 10 years has been developing his own unique style of work by sculpting green wood with a chainsaw.
- A self-taught artist, Paul is introducing more abstract landscapes into this exhibition.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.