In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Try to protest that the government is ruining your health with its selfish pleasures and see how far you get!
- For Scotland's only representative in the game's biggest tournament, the motives are purely selfish.
- In my last conversation with my Grandmother before she died she called me selfish.
- Call me selfish, but I wanted to leave my mark on a true original.
- Since no crime has been committed in the absence of a selfish motive, these are mostly open and shut cases.
- To do good deeds simply to obtain good karma would be to act from a selfish motive, and would not earn much merit.
- She was also starting to think that maybe she was a bit too selfish towards him.
- Sometimes I feel too selfish, and other times I feel too selfless.
- My selfish desires had led me into betraying this withdrawn and deeply religious family.
- His determination and the will to win make him selfish on the ice.
- Although he had to admit it seemed selfish, he couldn't tell her.
- I suppose one could say that we are selfish in this way.
- I gave a bittersweet sigh and tried not to feel selfish about the situation.
- Her girls, she says, are less selfish after their week away.
- The consumer is encouraged to feel that the transaction is less selfish, on both sides, than normal.
- They said society believed that they did a lucrative job for purely selfish reasons.
- When I had the second, I realised it was a bit selfish.
- She felt a bit envious momentarily before she brushed it off, feeling selfish.
- My reason for being pro-choice is kind of selfish in a way.
- I realized then that what I had said sounded incredibly selfish, yet I did not speak up.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.