In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It comes in two main varieties; a whole-milk semi-soft cheese, and a cheese for grating which is made with skimmed or semi-skimmed milk.
- Men may be doing certain things, such as drinking semi-skimmed milk, and there is some indication that fruit consumption is increasing, but that is only a small part of their diet.
- He may not have seen me watching him, but through some judicious neck-craning I watched the waiter prepare a truly disgusting brew that wasn't helped by the addition of semi-skimmed milk.
- As man and boy my breakfast has consisted of one Weetabix with a covering of Kellogg's Cornflakes with unrefined dark Cane sugar served in a hemispherical bowl with semi-skimmed milk and a heavy ‘Old English’ pattern spoon.
- Within a few minutes, a police car turned up with the officer and two pints of semi-skimmed milk.
- I favour brown bread over white, and semi-skimmed milk over full fat.
- You can now start to give your baby full-fat cows' milk as the main drink (not semi-skimmed or skimmed milk).
- Choosing healthier options shouldn't be expensive or hard to find - with breads, fruit and semi-skimmed milk all counting as good snack choices.
- Progress for Scotland's health means five pieces of fresh fruit a day, semi-skimmed milk, less frying and taking the binge out of the nation's drink habit.
- Cutting the fat off meat and eating lower-fat versions of dairy foods - semi-skimmed milk, yoghurt instead of cream, etc - can help to achieve this.
- You get this pot of Kelloggs Crunchy Nut Flakes with a little matching pot of semi-skimmed milk, and this insane folded-up plastic spoon.
- His porridge - made with medium oatmeal, not porridge oats - was cooked with half water, half semi-skimmed milk and a judicious dose of salt, his preference being sea-salt crystals.
- It has less fat than semi-skimmed milk but tastes the same.
- Alternative healthy choices are water and semi-skimmed milk.
- I bought a pint of semi-skimmed milk in the canteen this lunchtime.
- However, reflecting trends in Europe, sales of semi-skimmed milk boomed in Japan during the review period to represent 12 percent of sales by 1998.
- Children under five are able to receive whole or semi-skimmed milk free of charge each day under the Nursery Milk Scheme provided they attend approved day care facilities.
- Teagasc expertise was also used by PG Tips, a division of Unilever plc, to develop a unique process for the production of tea with semi-skimmed milk for the vending machine market.
- ‘We use two-thirds water, one-third semi-skimmed milk and cook for 40 minutes on a slow heat,’ says Stone.
- The FSA has advised consumers to drink semi-skimmed or skimmed milk.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.