In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Sweet Relief is a nonprofit organization that helps musicians in need of medical care and basic assistance, as well as aiding retired or semi-retired musicians.
- Many are retired or semi-retired former dog owners who are happy to look after pets in their spare time.
- The reason is that many a sales force in India are either semi-retired or retired mentally.
- In 1997, my father sold down his interests in Noel Leeming Ltd, and become semi-retired, having diversified into property and some silent business partnerships.
- Now semi-retired - ‘I still pop into the office two days a week’ - Doyle can appreciate anyone wanting to give up the day job, but he does not think Hendry is ready to do so yet.
- All retired or semi-retired men and women over the age of 50 are welcome.
- If you are retired or semi-retired, you are invited to a public meeting in the library on Wednesday next, November 6 at 8pm.
- Surely, it must be a sign that, apart from Manchester United, the English league is a rest home for semi-retired continental stars.
- With Rita gone, the semi-retired Long Island businessman satiates his life-long wanderlust by working part-time in a travel agency.
- I'm a 68 year old semi-retired small businessman.
- This property is an angler's dream house and would be very attractive for someone who is retired or semi-retired.
- It's the kind of dancing the semi-retired Vietnam veteran learned growing up near the beach in Virginia back in the 1950s, back when everybody he knew called it fast dancing.
- But the semi-retired builder, who has been a trainer at the club since 1984, is now stepping away from the ringside, passing the towel to a new generation of boxing coaches.
- Will it be the all-action set of first-half super heroes who swept their opponents away when they met in the Celtic League two weeks ago; or will it be the semi-retired set of complacent ramblers who turned up in the second half?
- Yates, now a semi-retired writer based in upstate New York, pioneered the Cannonball Run in 1971 before pulling the plug in 1979.
- White is a successful, semi-retired businessman with a 32-year career behind him, a good part of which was spent with a small aircraft company.
- In the Probus context it includes retired or semi-retired people.
- ‘We primarily deal with a couple of groups in the Irish market - retired and semi-retired people,’ Golding said.
- The 48-year-old semi-retired victim was forced to pull over his car in Barleylands, Crays Hill, Billericay, when a Transit-style van overtook him and stopped suddenly.
- For reasons of confidentiality, Mr Bevan was unable to give any more details about the mystery donor, suffice to say that he is aged 38, was originally from London and is semi-retired.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.