In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At the Dallas airport, the lights are controlled by sensors that measure sunlight.
- In other words the electronic odour sensor can detect the presence of bacteria in a sample of urine or other body fluids.
- The type of the rotor is detected in response to the output signal from the sensor.
- Finally, the researchers have developed new, highly responsive pressure sensors.
- I have changed the electronic control unit sensors, fuse box and relays to no avail.
- When they opened up the sensor that had detected the fire, they found nothing more sinister than a dead fly.
- There are even tiny sensors that can detect the presence of gunmetal and tanks.
- They use infrared sensors to detect the stairs in your home and stay away from them.
- This generates battery power for the lamp and there is a light sensor to detect whether it is dark enough to switch on.
- Nathalie glanced around her, aware of the audio and visual sensors now recording her words and actions.
- I have been assured that there is no fault with the temperature sensor or gauge.
- Cabbies could pay a charge for an electronic sensor to make it fall when they approached.
- Ceiling speakers pump music into every room, and special sensors can detect water leaks.
- The sensors measure the response of different parts of your brain to the noises.
- The ship's sensors detect incoming threats, which the command system then analyses and evaluates.
- They then measured the arousal of the men by using a sensor which monitored penile tumescence.
- They will also wear tiny sensors to measure their movements through the day.
- The frame consists of arrays of infrared beams and sensors which spot the movement and track it.
- Seabed sensors detect abnormal wave movements and relay the information to scientists.
- Each of the five devices has a motion sensor which triggers off a loud voice when people walk past.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.