In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- No sentient beings lived on the planet, so it would not be terrible if they colonized it.
- Most of us are aware that sentient life is not limited to two legs or even four.
- Yet that is what we, in effect, tell the millions of sentient creatures who are killed in lab experiments.
- If you have a being that is not sentient, that is not even aware, then the killing of that being is not something that is wrong in and of itself.
- There's even some argument that since it might be sentient, it would be unethical to destroy it.
- Of course unless it is alive or sentient through other means, it cannot know about anything, even itself.
- So he journeyed from world to world and took the souls of any sentient creature he came across.
- Animals (or at least sentient animals) clearly have an interest in not being made to suffer.
- Based on Mars, The Mysterons are sentient computers constructed by an alien civilisation.
- Why does an omniscient, omnipotent God allow pain and suffering to happen to sentient, living things?
- What then do we do when the computer is as sentient as we are?
- It reminds me of what it'd be like if one of our probes ever landed on a planet with sentient life.
- The entire series is built on speculation about alien life, sentient or otherwise.
- He shouldn't have embarked on the expeditions for the search of sentient life forms with his team.
- The Buddha taught that one should practice loving kindness to all sentient beings.
- People frequently complain that their questions nowadays are answered not by sentient humans but by machines.
- A strange computer called Hal is about to become sentient and then go insane.
- Seems you just need to tell someone they're in a team with the computer to have them start deferring to it, as if it was sentient.
- The subject matter of the social sciences is conscious sentient beings who act out of choice.
- Its new policies start with the recognition these animals are sentient beings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.