In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Islamic radicals taking up the cause of Chechen separatism are the latest dissenters to be heard from.
- Perhaps separatism is the result of a corrupt and arrogant government as is the case now.
- There was no political separatism in France during this period, only a cultural regionalism that was entirely compatible with national unity.
- The Liberals also do very well on the economy, terrorism, leadership and separatism.
- Indonesian leaders recognized the possibility of ethnic and regional separatism from the beginning of the republic.
- The new president inherits a nation torn by ethnic violence and separatism.
- For one thing, to treat separatism as terrorism is a gross mistake.
- And this is what extended terrorism and separatism to others in the most sensitive area of our country.
- Moreover, it noted the organization law prohibits civic groups from advocating communism or separatism.
- Among the most common of these are ethnic separatism and communal violence.
- The situation has become increasingly tense as street protests, ethnic conflict and armed separatism have emerged across the nation.
- At first a strong advocate of Black separatism, he was prepared to condone violence as a means of self-defence.
- Among the few black organizations that actively opposed the war effort was the Nation of Islam, a small Islamic group advocating racial separatism.
- Would the member please withdraw the comment he made about advocating separatism.
- The curse of nationalism and religious separatism has to be recognised and accepted as a force.
- Secondly, he feared separatism and sectarianism.
- It borrowed phrases from Marxism to cover over its reactionary nationalist programme, which included ethnic separatism.
- Most Iraqis and neighboring countries have objected to the proposal, fearing ethnic separatism.
- But it is only in the past 40 years that separatism has entered the political mainstream.
- The program of separatism is completely dependent upon winning the support of the Western powers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.