In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
adjetivo & nombre
- Let me show you something that hangs in the house of every good Serb family, and you will understand why nobody is a traitor.
- The ambivalence of ordinary Serbs toward the war and the Greater Serbia project is striking.
- This is predominantly the experience of the majority Muslim population as in the Bosniak Federation, returning Serb families are rightly permitted to recover their property.
- Ethnically motivated violence has meant scores of Croatian Serbs seeking asylum elsewhere in Europe.
- In 1992, as the former Yugoslavia sank into civil war, the city of Sarajevo, Bosnia, was surrounded by Bosnian Serb fighters, supported by Serbia.
- At the height of his power, Greeks, Bulgarians, Serbs and Albanians swore allegiance to him.
- The attacks expanded the refugee dilemma and failed to effectively crush Serb military power.
- The country is divided between three communities, the Albanians, the Serbs, and the Roma.
- But this would be met with demands for Kosovo's Serb minority population to be included in a redefined Serbia.
- In 1993 an international criminal tribunal was created by the UN Security Council in the Hague to try the leaders of the Serb, Croat and Muslim factions in the former Yugoslavia.
- Bosnian Serbs have again voted for nationalist parties who want, ultimately, to separate.
- The air force thought they were destroying hundreds of Serb armored vehicles.
- Russia, which had been unable to aid the Serbs in 1908, now backed them.
- Their descendants account for about a third of the present population, the remainder being mainly Serbs and Croats.
- Some people believe that they have suffered enough humiliation and that the ‘trade’ of former Serb leaders for a handful of dollars has so far brought more shame than benefits to the nation.
- There is no need to talk to understand the longing Serbs feel for a new role in the European family of nations.
- The Serbs will always like the Russians, for reasons rooted in history and religion.
- In his case, there is a restriction on mixing with anybody of Serb origin.
- A Tomahawk cruise missile destroyed the Serbian command and communications structure and the Serbs began to lose ground.
- I am a Serb, but my nationality was never more important than my personality.
- During World War II, after the collapse of the French, the Serbs fought valiantly against their Nazi occupiers.
- Italian ambitions in the Balkans angered the Serbs and the Allies and rendered a common front in the Balkans all but impossible.
- In 1989, on the 500th anniversary of that great Serb battle, and with a great sense of showmanship, Milosevic, who had grabbed power in Serbia two years earlier, descended as if from the heavens in a black helicopter.
- This was too little for the Kosovars, who wanted guarantees for full independence, and too much for Milosevic, who wanted to maintain complete control of the province and would not consider an outside military force on Serb soil.
- In his cross-examinations, he has hammered the witnesses with questions about rebel activity in their villages, implying that it precipitated Serb actions.
- Against this glorious setting, the film follows the plight of one Serb soldier and two Bosnian fighters (Ciki and Cera) trapped between the lines.
- A further crisis in Kosovo was again characterized by brinkmanship until mainly US bombers were set loose to attack Serb troops occupying the territory and to destroy infrastructure within Serbia.
- One Serb man we met was given a wheelchair in very good condition.
- Of course the Soviet tanks that the Iraqis and Serbs had didn't have this capability.
- Muslims, Serbs and Croats filed into polling stations in the capital Sarajevo, where the siege by Serb forces epitomised the 1992-1995 war that set neighbour against neighbour.
- He carefully rationed his appearances in the parliament chamber - not for him the rhetorical condemnations of Serb aggression or knee-jerk diatribes in favour of saving the rain forest.
- Some 400 lightly armed Dutch troops guarding Srebrenica's Muslims were swept aside by Bosnian Serb forces while the UN rejected appeals for air strikes by NATO to halt their advance.
- There are rivalries and hatreds that go back at least to the defeat of the Serbs by the Ottoman Turks in 1329.
- The triumphant Albanian nationalists proceed to drive out as many Serbs as they could.
- The first Slavic ethnic society in the South was established in 1874 by a group of Croatians and Serbs.
- This led to a Serb uprising that resulted in Serbia gaining control of Kosovo and other lands, Albania becoming independent and Macedonia being divided between Serbia and Greece.
- Hundreds of Bosnian families, both Muslim and Serb, have been helped to rebuild their homes.
- Despite these apparent political shortcomings, he still represents a refreshing change in Serbian politics, having none of the arrogance or theatricality of other Serb opposition leaders.
- This was stopped by another Collision and the Serbs now live only in Serbia.
- The Presidency has three members elected for four-year terms: a Muslim, a Croat, and a Serb.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.