In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He said she failed to make much headway in sericulture because the department was neglected over the years.
- Dyed silk was purchased from Arab and Indian traders until sericulture was introduced on the island in the early nineteenth century.
- A few large specimens of Morus alba were perhaps reminders of a failed 19th century attempt at sericulture at this site.
- The original focus industries were pottery, sericulture, carpentry, textiles, coconut fiber, and woven mats.
- For sericulture to flourish in the State, it was about time that its promotion started at the grassroot level.
- A few women expressed willingness to train in sericulture and sought the help of the Sericulture Department to market the cocoons.
- With food supplies guaranteed by imports from upriver, Pearl River delta farmers turned first to fruit and then to sericulture.
- Across the Atlantic, sericulture got its first push in 1609 when James I of England encouraged the production of silk (and discouraged the growing of tobacco) so he could fill English looms.
- In its native land it functioned as currency for buying expensive things as well as government offices, and as early as the second millennium B.C. there was a goddess of sericulture.
- ‘Such events generate great interest in students on the huge returns in store for them, besides encouraging the undergraduates to take up sericulture, which has a huge untapped potential,’ a research scholar explained.
- As for the development of agriculture and sericulture by the establishment of state institutions to promote the diffusion of the best available techniques, such policies had a longer history in China than in the West.
- The aim is to show the children the villagers' lives, and get them to learn about sericulture, agriculture, and the village markets.
- There were also exhibits on agriculture, sericulture, electronics, space, and marine engineering, to mention a few.
- He also introduced sericulture to Mysore and mulberry cultivation was started in 21 locations in the state.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.