In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(earnestness, sincerity)seriedad femenino
- Despite the seriousness of the problems, surgeons were confident the operation had gone well.
- Victims and campaign groups believe the crime has not been treated with sufficient seriousness.
- This action marks the change to a new seriousness on both sides of the struggle.
- At first the idea seems cold and distant, perhaps robbing death of its seriousness.
- Calls are supposed to be dealt with by nurses who assess the seriousness of cases before advising callers what to do.
2(gravity)gravedad femeninoseriedad femeninoit depends on the seriousness of the injuries — depende de la gravedad de las lesiones
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.