In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Many of the slaves are seen as passive, enjoying their servitude with a crude, animalistic joy.
- Jordan was the first in his family to escape such servitude.
- It begins with a grieving boy beside his father's funeral pyre, who is claimed by a worryingly uncouth uncle and taken away to a grim new life of servitude.
- Those it has aided praise its efforts, saying it saved them from a lifetime of domestic abuse and virtual servitude.
- It has a price, and that price is arbitrary forced servitude to the state.
- All that cruelty and bloodshed had produced nothing; the Free State was, according to Ryan, worse than English servitude.
- A freed slave could be returned to servitude for helping a slave escape or for striking a white.
- The only way to do that was to send Martha into servitude!
- For $100, for example, you can save a young girl from a life of indentured servitude.
- Eventually, the young monk must choose between love and desire and religious servitude.
- Those born into servitude, however benign and remote the oppression may seem, cannot know fully what it is to be free until the day of liberation actually dawns.
- In the millennium before the Communist party revolution, it was an antidote to a life of female servitude.
- Children are the worst victims of bondage and servitude.
- The stronger ones would be sold into slavery or servitude.
- The term of servitude in the United States was for life; slaves couldn't buy their freedom.
- Domestic servitude has only been escaped by passing it down to another cadre of oppressed women.
- America will not pretend that jailed dissidents prefer their chains, or that women welcome humiliation and servitude, or that any human being aspires to live at the mercy of bullies.
- Tens of millions of human souls were transported from their homes in Africa under appalling conditions to lives of servitude in the Americas.
- Her status as slave condemns her to a life of servitude, with little or no control over her future.
- We have all sold our kidneys to pay off a debt so that we can save our families from indentured servitude.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.