In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(strictness, harshness)severidad femeninothe severity of the winter — el rigor / la severidad del invierno
- Other measures will have to be used depending on the severity and type of problem.
- But his severity made him unpopular with the boys and he was passed over for promotion.
- Magistrates told Lawrence that the severity of the offences could warrant a custodial term.
- The severity and frequency of weather conditions were to blame for the financial situation.
- After two or three days of illness, pains of extraordinary severity develop.
2.1(of illness, injury) gravedad femenino(of pain) intensidad femenino
2.2(of test, examination)lo difícil
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.