In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1aguas negras femeninoaguas residuales femeninoaguas servidas femenino Cono Surbefore noun sewage disposal — tratamiento de aguas residuales (or negras etc.) masculino
- sewage farm / works — planta de tratamiento de aguas residuales (or negras etc.)
- sewage system — red de alcantarillado
- In fact, sewage had seeped into the town's water supplies and contaminated the water.
- We want guarantees of investment in transport links, sewage treatment and water supply.
- Who would eat something that has spent its life treading water around sewage outlets?
- A spokeswoman for Wessex Water said there was no choice but to pump diluted sewage into rivers.
- It was also delivering water to the camp, where many mains and sewage pipes are broken.
- The lake has now become a dumping ground for the city's sewage and industrial waste.
- Homeowners whose gardens were flooded with raw sewage are still waiting for the waste to be cleared up.
- One pipe had been blocked by fat from the kitchens, forcing raw sewage into the water course.
- She wrinkled her nose in disgust as she climbed out of her car and was hit with the stench of sewage and garbage.
- Power is produced by fermenting raw sewage at the new Bournemouth treatment works.
- The survey of the area revealed sewage contamination of the drinking water supply.
- Usually the water mixes with the raw sewage, clogging up the drainage system.
- It has no paved roads, no sewage treatment system and no landline telephones.
- A court directive to stop letting sewage into the storm water drain is not yet enforced.
- The order arose after many of the wells were found to be contaminated with human sewage.
- There the experts were noting that farm drugs are turning up increasingly in sewage and ground water.
- The water manages to get into the sewage system causing the waste to surge up out of the manholes.
- One of the main concerns about the plan centred on the inadequacy of the current sewage system.
- The problem of piped water and sewage disposal in the UK was solved over 150 years ago.
- When it rains, the water carries sewage with it into the lake, polluting the water.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.