In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1shag-pile carpet — alfombra de pelo largo femenino
- My wages have to go towards rent and other essentials, but no, after last week I should have run out and bought some shagpile carpets, funky ashtrays and pants with tigers printed on them.
- We walk upstairs on a moth-eaten cream shagpile.
- The cleaner can be used on all coverings, from shagpile carpets to wooden floorboards and ceramic tiles, and is fitted with a soft tread on the castors and wheels to protect even the most sensitive floor coverings.
- Two $1,000 cheques fluttered on to my shagpile when I opened one of my three Christmas cards just before the festivities kicked off.
- And the ugly shagpile I encountered at The Maxwell has hardly done anything to change that.
- There is a white shagpile rug on the wooden floor, with white sofas facing towards a flash sound system and widescreen TV.
- Kick off your shoes, tread lightly across the shagpile, snap open a Babycham, ease back in your Parker Knoll recliner and smooch your way through this little lot like the silky smooth operator you know you can be.
- The massive heart attack he suffered caused The King to fall face first from his toilet on to the shagpile carpet below with his pants around his ankles.
- It was too posh - gold chandeliers, shagpile carpet, the room as big as the ground floor of my house.
- When I was a kid, rich people had bars in their houses usually attached to a lounge, resplendent with shagpile carpet and a massive exposed rock fireplace.
- Since it's covered in thick brown nylon shagpile carpet, Clocky might never be found.
- All those termites play havoc with the shagpile.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.