In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(in statements about the future)I/we shall be very interested to see what happens — tendré/tendremos mucho interés en ver qué sucede
- I said we should have to economize — dije que tendríamos que economizar
- we shan't be able to come — no podremos / no vamos a poder venir
- Jenny, pick up your toys — shan't! — Jenny, recoge los juguetes — ¡no quiero!
- I shall ignore the questions which do not apply to a particular item.
- The ancient debate will help, I suggest, in clarifying what we shall want to say on this question.
- I shall return to this question later at paragraph 124 and following.
- Certainly the postal game offers far more scope for originality, as we shall see later.
- These are the main questions that I shall examine and, to some extent, try to answer in this chapter.
- This last question raises disputes of fact, and I shall consider it first.
- The stage is set for a tremendous showdown, and in our minds there is but one question: who shall remain and what will be left of them?
- I record this not as a suggestion for us to follow, but so that we shall not suffer from these practices.
- In this chapter we shall address two questions: why was France so effervescent in these years?
- We shall return later to the question of whether or not this insight is correct.
- I have had the benefit of knowing the farm and its problems for some time now and have taken advice on the price that I shall offer.
- Having reflected on these questions for many years, I shall tell you my conclusion.
- We shall take up the question of what we can learn from the reliabilist alternative in Chapter 15.
- I shall deal in more detail with the nature of the offer below.
- I shall leave until later the question of interpreting what the terms of the authorization required.
- As we shall see, the answer to this question depends very much on the type of licence which has been granted.
- I shall return to the question of foams having an open cell construction.
- Where I think it relevant, helpful and permissible to take into account other material I shall indicate what it is.
- Perhaps we should; but, as already remarked, that is a question I shall not consider here.
- I thought it might be difficult to offer relevant criticism, but I shall try.
1.2(making suggestions, asking for assent)shall I open/close the window? — ¿abro/cierro la ventana?
- shall we go out tonight? — ¿qué te (or le etc.) parece si salimos esta noche?
- shall we dance? — ¿bailamos?
- I'll ask him, shall I? — le pregunto ¿sí? / ¿te (or le etc.) parece?
- let's try again, shall we? — intentémoslo otra vez ¿sí? / ¿te (or le etc.) parece?
- whatever shall we do? — ¿qué podemos hacer?
- The question here is where shall we go for this data and what data will we need next?
2(in commands, promises etc)they shall not pass — no pasarán
- thou shalt not steal — no robarás
- The governor shall send the report to the Secretary of State without delay, together with his own recommendations.
- Not only that, he had these huge posters of a certain boyband whose identity shall remain a secret.
- The question of costs shall be dealt with in writing within four weeks of the release of this Order.
- A member shall indicate his vote by raising his or her hand or by going into a lobby.
- The United Kingdom shall not send from its territory to that of the other Member States fresh meat of the bovine species.
- At the hearing of his case, if the defendant is in attendance he shall be invited to indicate whether or not he accepts each of the charges made against him.
- The first person to hold this cube with mortal hands shall inherit all of my strength.
- Such instructions shall be consistent with the intent of the Contract Documents.
- Yes, at this fine establishment which shall remain nameless, they do not melt the cheese.
- The Tender shall comprise an offer to perform the Services supplied in the Enquiry Documents.
- Under your command shall be the battleships Loyalty and Honour, and the frigates Hope and Truth.
- The evidence in question therefore shall not form part of the trial evidence.
- If there is any disagreement, each shall send his form of Order to me, and I will finalize the wording.
- Every question determined by the members of the court martial shall be decided by a majority of the votes of the members.
- In any such case the criminal nature of the group or organization is considered proved and shall not be questioned.
- The use of supplementary indications shall be authorised until 31 December 1989.
- The primary residence of the children shall remain with the mother.
- The Clerk shall give notice to the respondent in Form 5 and a copy shall be sent to the applicant.
- From the hubbub and colorful chaos of Delhi she journeyed to a town in the Midwest that shall remain unnamed.
- Two years ago, I received an email from an executive in the cinema exhibition industry, who shall remain nameless.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.