In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For Miu Miu she went back to the 1950s, with large geometric prints based on curtain and furnishing fabrics, heavy slubbed silk and shantung.
- A somulent shantung shawl of sherbet snow scuttled staidly across the spacious stage onto which the shady stratosphere of heaven harked an assiduous ear.
- When I visited my favorite hat shop, I looked at a shantung and a cheap Panama hat but decided that my head would look and feel better when crowned by a true Montecristi.
- Sheree looked great in the black and gold silk shantung pantsuit she wore today.
- She looked incredible, as usual, with her brown ponytail, an off-white silk shantung pants suit, and a gorgeous Fabrice resin flower pin with seed-pearl-tipped stamens.
- Our silk combination curtains were the solution: Their sheer tops let in diffused light, while solid shantung bottoms offer screening.
- Tussah silk is similar to shantung, with silk from the wild.
- Tussah silk, often called shantung, is made from the cocoons of wild tussah silkworms that eat oak and juniper leaves.
- They makes gorgeous silk shantung and taffeta dresses that are amazingly flattering and come in every color.
- It is like a nubby silk shantung, this culture thing.
- I was in a wedding and the bridesmaid's dress was a rose pink silk shantung.
- Steeped in culture, hazy summer-weight cottons and shantung silk in luxurious shades of spice, henna and amber are embroidered and lavishly decorated.
- At home in Chelsea his black shantung pyjamas would be laid out, the evening papers and the Book Collector spread on his night table, and the digestive biscuits and Karlsbad plums, a bottle of San Pellegrino, a jigger of Strathisla.
- Although usually marketed as a ‘Panama hat,’ the shantung is a lower-priced imitation woven in China from twisted rice paper.
- I recently bought a black silk shantung corset top, and I have no idea what to wear with it on bottom?
- She in her buttoned-up cheongsams and high heels, he in his sober-toned shantung suits and narrow ties - they repress themselves in the high style of their day and wear their restrictions as badges of honor.
- The bodice was in shantung satin and the skirt was in tulle & crinoline with lining.
- Fabrics include canvas in different weights, linens, cotton and silk poplins, piquets, silk canvas, shantung, cotton jersey and all the classic ‘suit’ fabrics.
- Another unique characteristic is the emergence of shiny materials, such as satin, silk, shantung and duchesse.
- I love rich colors and so decided to make my duvet cover out of a very saturated blue shantung silk.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.