In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A requirement of form deters sharp practice and fraud whilst encouraging the desirable elements of a seriously intended, voluntary agreement.
- He has been pinned by the dishonesty and sharp practice apparently rife in the Queensland branch.
- The Yanks lecture the world on good election process, yet let ballot design, voting procedure and counting power be controlled by the equivalent of local councils - a recipe for electoral corruption and sharp practice.
- Politicians should have more regard for the complexity they conjure up with each new wave of legislation, which creates a breeding ground for fraud and sharp practice.
- What these people did wasn't sharp practice, it was criminal.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.