In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Admittedly she's young, slim and a tad green and new to the place, so it's only polite.
- If she's taking viewers on field trips all over the world, it must be getting a bit expensive.
- Since Mom's still flat on her back in hospital, we can safely deduce she's not to blame.
- After all, she's a bit of a Francophile and is already a frequent visitor to the country.
- It's like I'm still in denial and at the same time it's as though she's still here in a way.
- By playing down her investment in the festivities, she's covered if no one turns up.
- It's a very difficult part for a woman and it's great the way she's approached the task.
- She was only a hour late for lunch but she's my nemesis and I'm supposed to hate her.
- She's not just re-hung the ones at the front of her house, she's put some at the back as well.
- I am very worried about her because I've not been able to find out if she's all right or not.
- Would it be fair to say she's finding it easier giving herself to her work than to a relationship?
- If Valerie was at home twiddling her thumbs, there might be a problem, but she's not.
- It's hard to get a sense of who she is, even when she's describing her childhood in Nepal.
- She's made Simon realise he wants her and she's gonna leave him dangling for a bit.
- The first time may have been accidental, but it seems she's adopted it as a stylistic tic.
- She won't come, and even if she does, she's just the girl who bothers him all the time.
- For some reason, she seems to have got on one of the horses and it's thrown her or she's fallen off.
- She has been a player with the school, just on a training level, and she's keen to take it up again.
- It's really weighing her down because she's not living up to her ideals any longer.
- Now in the final month of her training she's had to put her skills into practice.
- she is
- she has
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.