In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(pure, absolute)purohe did it out of sheer desperation/necessity — lo hizo por pura desesperación/necesidad
- by sheer coincidence — por pura casualidad
- it was sheer bad luck that … — fue por pura mala suerte que …
- his sheer ignorance — su ignorancia supina
- it's sheer nonsense to suggest that … — es un verdadero disparate decir que …
- that would be sheer lunacy — eso sería una auténtica locura
- he succeeded by sheer hard work — lo logró a fuerza de trabajar sin tregua
- they were overwhelmed by the sheer size of the problem — los abrumaba la mera magnitud del problema
- A couple of years ago, I was interviewing Paul McCartney when he started talking about the sheer physical delight of singing rock 'n' roll.
- In such a situation, novels are read for the sheer delight of the plot twists, which often reflect the detours of our own destiny in this hustle-bustle world.
- And that is how one man made a life for himself through hard work, sheer determination, and utter loyalty.
- But the turnaround at times has been based on sheer will.
- The dedication, loyalty and sheer hard work of staff means the school will go from strength to strength.
- The sirens, the riot gear, and the officers' show of sheer numbers all combine to suggest that protest is an overwhelming threat to the public.
- Of course, this was because of the sheer damn quality of those songs.
- Then began three months of hard work, and long nights mixed with sheer panic and pure delight that this project was becoming a reality.
- It was out of sheer fear he wouldn't be able to stop himself from spewing out something nasty, thinly veiled as a compliment.
- What other game could offer such grand spectacle, such majestic thrill, such sheer piercing insight into the raging heart of man!
- It may come to that, but that's going to take some sheer brute cash.
- There's a quaintness in these tableaux that's at first charming but eventually slides into overkill through sheer grating repetition.
- Nonetheless, by sheer dogged determination I have managed to observe and cogitate on a number of summer's wonders.
- He got his nickname from the brutal way in which he battled his foes, often winning through sheer might and endurance.
- He had risen in the ranks of the party by the sheer dint of his hard work and forthrightness.
- But with sheer will and determination he's pursued interests in athletics and music which you would have never thought possible.
- For sheer value it's hard to beat the supermarkets.
- The 3-2 win there a few years back is probably still the best game I've ever played in, but for sheer drama it's hard to top winning a game in injury time.
- She might be bright and good looking, and have impeccable genes thanks to a family comprising several generations of international swimmers, but it is sheer hard work that has carried her this far.
- The pitch was invaded and tears of joy and emotion flowed as players, officials and supporters hugged each other with sheer delight hardly able to comprehend what they had achieved.
2(vertical)(drop) a pique(drop) vertical(cliff) escarpado(cliff) cortado a pico(cliff) cortado a pique
- The sheer cliff walls rose ominously against the brutal onslaught of the waves below.
- With sheer walls on either side, access looked impossible.
- The basin that had flooded became a thin, turbulent river at the bottom of a chasm, and their path was surrounded on either side by sheer cliffs of slate.
- Whereas the canyon's south side is terraced and textured, the north walls are sheer cliffs.
- They reach land in unconventional fashion only to face an insane climb of a nearly sheer cliff at night and in a heavy rain.
- The resulting crater is hundreds of feet from rim to rim and walled on one side by a sheer cliff.
- The shore on this side of the break-water is sheer and tumbles down to a reef of broken rocks and large kelp-wigged boulders.
- But all that greeted his eye was and endless expanse of sand and waves in front of him, and the sheer wall of a rocky cliff behind.
- Our feet would get stuck in mud or we'd come up against a sheer cliff wall.
- The waves crash onto the base of sheer cliffs on the ocean side.
- Here the Danube carves its way through heavily forested hills creating sheer cliffs on either side of the river.
- They had been grazing in one of Crete's dozens of fabulous gorges, where sheer cliffs soar spectacularly on either side as you head for the Mediterranean Sea.
- The side of the quarry is sheer, overhanging in places and a just off-vertical slope in others.
- Snails are why I grow strawberries in window boxes, not that a snail sees the sheer cliff of wall leading to the window ledge as anything but a challenge.
- Against my instinct to soar to the bottom of the drop-off, I reluctantly finned up the sheer wall into saner depths.
- Two miles south of Stonehaven, this impressive ruin sits on a flat peninsula with sheer cliffs on three sides.
- The delicate fragile fern and the larger fragrant wood fern nestle in the crevices of the sheer cliff off the northern side of the summit.
- Sign up for one of the club's many naturalist-taught skill sessions and activities - like climbing walls of sheer ice.
- Its streamlined modernist line in sheer cliff faces and sleek curvilinear walls was celebrated by leading architects of the day and was a perfect ingredient in Art Deco style.
- That tour became the stuff of legends when the guide walked us out the other end and stopped before a sheer cliff wall.
3(fine)(stockings/fabric/nylon) muy fino(stockings/nylon/fabric) transparente
- Light pink sheer fabric was scalloped between the posts on my bed.
- Its sheer fabric whispers only sweet nothings.
- It was a mix of denim, sheer fabrics and bold accessories.
- I love a challenge, and working with a new fabric provides that, so I recently decided to sew a sheer fabric.
- As Mona she wears glittering, flimsy garments with sheer embroidered scarves, hennaed hair, nail varnish and lipstick.
- Because the building is dwarfed by its neighbours, windows have been screened with sheer fabric through which can be seen shadows of the surrounding city.
- Some designers have gone further by experimenting with sheer fabrics to add a seductive appeal.
- Look for a wide band for support, uplifting underwire, and cups made of sturdy rather than sheer fabric.
- It perforated the sheer fabric of her chemise, ran through her body and whipped up the flotsam in her heart.
- To ensure the sheer fabric in the appliqué won't show, select a color close to the garment it will be placed on.
- A sheer, a see-through or sheer fabric usually used as an inner drapery, gives a softening effect to window treatment.
- Versace officials did not immediately answer requests for details on how such sheer, long-sleeved dresses stay put.
- Cheesecloth is the primary window covering, draped over curtain rods to create layers sheer enough to let light in, but dense enough to provide privacy.
- The dress was white, with a sheer fabric over it.
- Gauze is a sheer, lightly woven fabric similar to cheesecloth.
- Bias-cut dresses in silk, satin and sheer fabrics fit the bill for affairs that require strap heels and heavy flirting.
- She made a modern day canopy that is often seen hanging from a ceiling with the sheer fabric draping over the bed.
- Then, sew a sheer fabric, such as organdy, into a slip-on case with a graceful 3-inch flange.
- The key to looking your best is to pick one feature to highlight, and then use colors and formulas sheer enough to let your naturally gorgeous self shine through.
- My eyes fell upon the wedding dresses in the front, and I ran my fingers along the sheer fabrics and intricate lace.
1(vertically)the cliffs rise sheer out of the sea — los acantilados se yerguen verticalmente sobre el mar
- it falls sheer in the sea — cae a pico / a pique hasta el mar
- On the far side was an impressive waterfall, thundering down some sixty feet into the lake from a huge cave in a mountain rising up sheer from the water's edge.
- This reef then plunges sheer for another 10m or so to the bottom of the channel.
- The hill rises sheer above me, going probably 100 feet up.
- The mountains are massive red sandstone lumps, their vertical faces rising to table-tops or dropping sheer into canyons.
- On the other, a 200 ft - high-cliff fell sheer into scree slopes and the plain below.
- There were numerous occasions when the threat of gunfire caused a raider to sheer off at speed.
- This didn't stop them from moving into hymn-singing mode, though, which made sure that any nocturnal wild camels that might have got within range swiftly sheered off.
- River-users who had painted nightmare scenarios of fully laden petrol barges sheering off mud banks into the bridge welcomed the change of heart as a triumph for common sense.
- River users say that the measures do not address the real problem of the bridge itself and claim fully laden petrol barges could sheer off mudbanks close by and plough into it.
- The Marine Accident Investigation Branch said the collision was caused by the training ship Arold - which had a qualified pilot on board, as well as three trainees and six crew - losing control when she suddenly sheered to port on a bend.
- But they say that the measures do not address the real problem of the bridge itself and have painted nightmare scenarios of fully laden petrol barges sheering off mudbanks close by and ploughing into it.
- As he says, to watch the seabirds sheer off the surface as these monsters plough through the waves is a sight never to be forgotten.
- Horses were constantly overtaking the buffalo, riders were bending down, horses were sheering off, buffalo were falling.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.