In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1relámpagos difusos masculino
- A blaze of bloody green steel answered, and the blades met in a terrible explosion of fury, bleaching the ravine with a glare of hate that blasted up like sheet lightning.
- Thunder rolled across the waves as occasional flashes of sheet lightning burst across the sky illuminating the dark-grey thunderheads in a spectacular display of nature's fury and beauty.
- Thankfully the wind remained fairly constant as we were blinded by the sheet lightning.
- I counted 53 strokes over a period of 2 minutes at its height, mainly chain and sheet lightning, though we got a ground strike on a tree about 50 metres away.
- Standing there in my pyjamas I watch sheet lightning strike the Atlantic.
- In the distance, thunder rumbled, and sheet lightning dimly lit the sky.
- We went outside to see the sky lit up by great flashes of sheet lightning, but no thunder.
- The mixture of warm air and moisture creates thunderstorms at altitude - maybe 3,000 metres - bringing thunder and sheet lightning and heavy downpours from France, often at night.
- Like sheet lightning, these flashes are created by lightning bolts, but are in thunderstorms more than 10 miles away.
- Often, the sheet lightning in the distance and occasional real storms can add to the drama on stage.
- By the 1970s, however, writing the umpteenth article on sheet lightning imagery in The Scarlet Letter or Macbeth did not seem like a great way to make a splash or launch a career, and so a new methodology had to be generated.
- Heat lightning is like sheet lightning, but is so far away that you cannot hear the thunder.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.