In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1traumatizado por la guerra
- The first inkling of what is to come appears after Charlie returns home, shell-shocked after seeing his brother wounded.
- The film is about a shell-shocked WWI veteran, who becomes obsessed with restoring the intricate mechanical Harrison clocks, regardless of the personal cost.
- The term "shell shocked" became well known during the Vietnam War.
- Many of those who opted out were repeat deserters who weren't even shell-shocked.
- As he prepared his shell-shocked troops for life in the basement, his new broom approach was not to everyone's liking.
- It was a terribly sad situation and some of these soldiers were genuinely shell-shocked.
- He returned shell-shocked, eligible for a full pension.
- This World War II romance film makes Amanda feel all warm and cozy, as only stories of convicts and shell-shocked veterans can.
- Later he went abroad and the misfortunate wretch got shell-shocked in some foreign war.
- Many Americans know that Patton slapped two shell-shocked soldiers who'd sought refuge in an Army hospital bed during the Allies' invasion of Sicily in August 1943.
- Grace was Egan's mother whose three brothers were casualties to the war: one died, another was gassed, another shell-shocked.
- Uncle Charlie had been in the trenches in the First World War and come back "shell shocked."
- Septimus Smith, a shell-shocked World War One veteran, overhears people discussing the matter.
- Against that apocalyptic reality, the 17 shell-shocked British soldiers shot for "cowardice" look like the only sane men in uniform on the continent.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.