In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We need incentives to improve shopfronts and to encourage more distinctive independent shops back into the centre.
- ‘Both these shops have given the area a lift and made it worth visiting by retaining and just maintaining original shopfronts,’ the society said.
- The preservation of traditional shopfronts has not hindered commercial progress and is a credit to many of our local Chambers of Commerce.
- Jack Dylan's Jewellers on Shop Street was named as having the best shopfront in the western region and proprietors Sean and Bernie were delighted with the award.
- A building preservation trust which is restoring a derelict property in the centre of Rochford has been told it must keep a former shopfront, even though it will be a home in future.
- The council's crackdown has also extended to other areas in which people breach planning controls - from overgrown, unsightly gardens to garish shopfronts.
- Midway between the hotel and the theatre I passed a series of shopfronts which, at first glance, appeared to have been converted into squats.
- Modestly clad women appear as newsreaders on TV, while sexually suggestive Hindi film posters adorn shopfronts about town.
- Proposals include brightening up shopfronts and making new pedestrian areas leading onto Drake Street.
- People don't consider that their old farm buildings or the shopfronts in their towns are heritage, but do think that the ruined castle or abbey is.
- Sand covers Swan Street and the wooden shopfronts are overhung by balconies.
- The gunmen sprayed the shopfront, shattering glass and pock-marking the walls as holidaymakers screamed and ducked.
- The contrast with Ireland is stark, where most listed buildings in our provincial towns are distinguished by plastic windows and inappropriate new shopfronts.
- Funding will also be available for the reinstatement of traditional shopfronts or other architectural features.
- In between Wanee's dingy store and those new monoliths sits a line of shuttered shopfronts with ‘for sale’ signs.
- Castle Point Council gave permission to change the use of the premises, near the junction with Hatley Gardens, and for alterations to the shopfront.
- Sydney's sole flirtation with the horror of British post-war tower block public housing looms large on the Redfern horizon and tellingly, most shopfronts in the commercial hub still have Beirut Blinds.
- Traditional shopfronts are being replaced by less attractive modern shopfronts.
- There are also shots from inside factories set up behind shopfronts across the western suburbs, graphically illustrating health and fire hazards.
- Passengers were boarding a double-decker in Crawley, West Sussex, when another bus hit it from behind before crashing into a shopfront.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.