In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Kortni sits back, stunned, pulling the car over to the shoulder of the freeway.
- She was standing on the shoulder of an empty freeway and a slightly rough wind was blowing around her.
- Kelly and three others were in two cars, one behind the other, at night on the shoulder of a major highway.
- He said many motorists drove on the shoulder of the highways and used interchanges and ramps to go around traffic lights.
- My partner and I had parked on the shoulder of the highway and began to chat.
- He glanced over his shoulder in the rear view mirror and pulled off of the highway onto the wide shoulder.
- The only other people you ever saw here on the steep banks along the shoulder were prisoners doing cleanup.
- Because of the darkness of the night, Dawn nearly missed the black Jaguar parked on the shoulder of the road.
- Charlie jogged toward the car which was parked on the shoulder of the street.
- I hit the brakes and aimed it toward the shoulder of the highway.
- I was in the vicinity of the lighthouse so I pulled onto the shoulder of the road to ponder my situation.
- She made her way all the way across the freeway to the left shoulder.
- Meanwhile, Nicholas had spotted his jaguar sitting on the shoulder of the road and cut three lanes to get to her.
- Hosein is appealing to drivers not to drive on the shoulder of the highways and not to cut in and out of moving traffic.
- Her dad pulled over onto the shoulder of the highway and stopped the car.
1.1Anatomíahombro masculinothe dress can be worn off the shoulder(s) — el vestido puede llevarse con los hombros al descubierto
- to have broad shoulders — ser ancho de hombros / de espaldas
- to shrug one's shoulders — encogerse de hombros
- the responsibility for it was placed entirely on his shoulders — le cargaron toda la culpa
- that will take / lift a burden off our shoulders — eso nos va a quitar un peso de encima
- to look over one's shoulder — mirar por encima del hombro
- I keep feeling there's someone looking over my shoulder — tengo la sensación de que me están vigilando
- to stand shoulder to shoulder — estar hombro con hombro
- we must stand shoulder to shoulder on this issue — tenemos que estar codo con codo en este asunto
- to cry / weep on sb's shoulder — desahogarse con algn
- a shoulder to cry on — un paño de lágrimas
- straight from the shoulder — sin rodeos
- give it to them straight from the shoulder — díselo sin rodeos
- to give sb the cold shoulder — hacerle el vacío a algn
- to put / set one's shoulder to the wheel — arrimar el hombro
- to rub shoulders with sb — codearse con algn
- Less commonly your hips, shoulders, elbows, and neck may be affected.
- He is very flexible throughout the shoulders, upper body and especially in the ankles.
- Your goal is to be able to support your baby without straining your back, neck, arms or shoulders.
- Aching to severe pain with tenderness occurs in their neck, shoulders, upper arms, hips and thighs.
- This condition is characterized by fatigue, tenderness and pain, especially in the back, shoulders and neck.
- That includes our arms, ribcage, shoulders, neck, upper back and chest.
- Sitting at a desk all day puts pressure on your lower back, neck and shoulders.
- Occasionally it starts in one region such as the neck and shoulders and spreads over a period of time.
- Finally, tension in the shoulders, neck and upper back often make people over-work their vocal muscles.
- The weakness is usually worse in the muscles of the hips, thighs, neck, shoulders and upper arms.
- While you are at it, do some stretching exercises to relieve tension in your back, shoulders, and neck.
- Tighten your trunk muscles to keep your shoulders, hips and knees in alignment.
- Her sore back, neck and shoulders prompted her to pay regular visits to a chiropractor and a massage therapist.
- I went straight to bed but became increasingly concerned with the aches down the back of my neck and shoulders.
- Bursitis often affects the areas around the joints in your shoulders, elbows or hips.
- For example, acupuncture needles are inserted into the tender areas of muscle in the neck and shoulders to treat headaches.
- There may be stiffness of the neck and shoulders, tingling or stiffness in the limbs, an inability to concentrate and difficulty in speaking.
- The neck, shoulder and wrist should be examined carefully in the patient with elbow pain.
- These include muscles used to maintain body posture, such as those in the neck, shoulders, and pelvic girdle.
- There was no direct blow to the scapula and the shoulder did not dislocate.
1.2Indumentariahombro masculinoa jacket with padded shoulders — una chaqueta con hombreras
- All that's needed is a canvas khaki green belt, or even a jacket with patch pockets and very defined shoulders.
- Conventionally sew the garment shoulder and side seams and press the seam allowances open.
- In the normal judo competition you face your opponent with your hands grasping the lapels or shoulders of his uniform.
- The red ruffle detail dress is flirty and fun with frills falling from the hem and shoulder for a ravishing party look.
- This particular form of tailoring is tight and tiny, cut with soft, rounded shoulders, open necklines and small waists which are sometimes belted.
- Making alterations to other areas, such as the shoulders, back or lapels will change the intended design of the suit.
- The cuffs were also of the same nature, as were the epaulettes on the shoulders of his military tunic.
- A damp tea towel had made a moist patch on the shoulder of my tee-shirt.
1.3Cocinapaletilla femeninopaleta masculino
- Some areas cook the entire hog, others just the pork shoulder, some make pulled pork.
- Remove the meat, skin, and tongue from the head, shoulders, and fore shanks.
- You will need to order the boned shoulder of lamb ahead of time.
- From the hams and shoulders he will peel off the outside meat as dog food, but will keep some of the inside meat for his family.
- The blacksmith, having just purchased a shoulder of mutton, is triumphantly waving it in the air.
- Hams, shoulders, jowls, and sides of bacon could be cured to last indefinitely.
- For the beef shoulder, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil.
- If you are preparing a red meat-based stew use front quarter cuts like a pork shoulder or a beef chuck or ribs.
- One hopes for a quarter of lamb, the other for a shoulder of mutton and both are dismayed when the true discovery of the baby is made.
2EE. UU.(of road)arcén masculinoberma femenino Andesacotamiento masculino Méxicobanquina femenino Río de la Platahombrillo masculino Venezuela
1(place on shoulder)(knapsack) ponerse al hombro(knapsack) echarse al hombro(blame/responsibility) cargar conshoulder arms! — ¡al hombro, ar!
2(push)empujar con el hombroI was shouldered aside — me hicieron a un lado a empujones
- to shoulder one's way — abrirse paso a empujones
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.