In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(advantageous setting)the series is simply a showcase for its stars — la serie no es más que un vehículo para el lucimiento de sus estrellas
1.2(spectacular example)escaparate masculinohe turned the country into a showcase of capitalism — convirtió al país en un escaparate del capitalismo
- The first one I saw displayed in a gun shop showcase drew customers like bears to honey.
- New models are displayed in one showcase, and rental guns are offered in another.
- Through a parlour scented with incense, I stepped towards beautifully lit showcases, displaying collections of stainless steel and titanium jewellery.
- Plans are now under way to install specially designed showcases to display all the memorabilia to the public.
- Growing stacks of finished bowls in the showcase added to the enthusiasm.
- Over quite a few years I have tested a number of Baer pistols and examined dozens more belonging to friends, or which were found in gun shop showcases.
- It will not be a conventional museum, with showcases of objects, said Mr Johnson.
- Over 500 original documents dating back to the 18th century are displayed in showcases.
- Goldsmiths' works, jewellery, manuscripts were all displayed in showcases resembling shop windows.
- Later, the staff enjoyed seeing their sand castings displayed in a special showcase.
- It is shipped after the buyer collects his or her Corvette from its showcase in the museum.
- Last week, it opened to the public a showcase of selected art works acquired for its permanent collection during 2003.
- Guiding a group of visitors in the exhibition house, Torihama suddenly stopped at a showcase that displays relics of the pilots.
- The three women, aged between 27 and 36, were all arrested for the attempted theft of diamonds from display showcases.
- The latter exhibition has several bright showcases containing minerals of various colors with explanations of the structural and chemical causes of these colors.
- The hall is offering local collectors a unique opportunity to show off their treasures at three showcases at the museum for up to a month.
- Cartier commissioned avant-garde Italian architect Ettore Sottsass to curate the exhibit and design the showcases.
- Down some wooden steps, I find a semi-basement room packed with tables, clothes racks and wooden-framed showcases.
- Along with the Indian designers, FWA this year will exhibit the showcases by designers from the U.S., Latin America and Europe.
- The Sanjukta Panigrahi Showcase was the first showcase of the evening.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.