In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1recinto ferial masculinoreal de la feria masculino
- Last Wednesday 50,000 people went through the gates of the Harrogate showground, while visitors on Tuesday and Thursday took the total to 127,152.
- Borrowby Agricultural and Horticultural Society wanted to use the agricultural land as a showground and also for sport and recreation, including scout activities and caravan rallies.
- Four years ago half a tonne of British rashers were rushed to the showground for bacon sandwiches after the Yorkshire Post revealed visitors were being fed on Dutch and Danish produce.
- As the sun beat down on the showground, tens of thousands of visitors meandered among the stalls, some taking shelter in the shade to enjoy an organic ice cream or one of the tempting local beverages.
- There were no reported traffic problems, despite a multitude of motorists making their way to the showground, and families in their thousands enjoyed a traditional day out.
- The unmistakable signal that hunting is alive and well despite the legislation will be relayed around the world via the webcam that records events in the main ring on the Harrogate showground.
- The breakthrough emerged on the opening day of the three-day Great Yorkshire Show which saw huge crowds flock to the Harrogate showground attracted by the warm, sunny weather.
- But, after two successful years, the 1958 County Show was such a minor disaster on a quagmire site that the society made the best move in its history to its present showground at Withybush.
- Bio-security measures were in place at the weekend in the area of the Marley showground housing the cloven-hoofed animals.
- Despite tailbacks, which meant drivers had to wait hours to get to the showground, organisers estimate at least 16,000 people turned up to the annual event yesterday.
- The showground holds the national collection of perry pear trees and is propagating new stocks from re-discovered ancient varieties, with the ultimate aim of putting perry pears back on farms.
- Running over three days, today is the last chance for visitors to get to the showground at New Park, in Brockenhurst, for a taste of all that is great and good about living in the New Forest and Hampshire.
- Crowds at the 173rd annual Bakewell Show, famed for its traditional sheep and cattle parades, will watch a train of camels stride across the showground and compete in a series of sprint events.
- But on opening day, the showground was so vast and the exhibitors' tents and stands so many and so comfortably spread out that I'm sure it was a comfortable success.
- The decision to cancel was taken on Wednesday night, amid fears that heavy rainfall would have made conditions dangerous for visitors and cars on the road leading to the showground.
- Entertainment will be provided on the showground in St Mary's Park all day from noon to around 6pm where the Tower FM roadshow will keep things ticking along.
- Expansion of the exhibition space on the showground is necessary to meet increased demand from events like Countryside Live, being held for the third time on October 29 and 30.
- Even those who possess a simple regard for a well-planted garden flock to the event, starting June 3, to take in the sights, sounds, atmosphere and entertainment of the showground.
- North of England Horticultural Society show director Roger Brownbridge believes the record was set because people were curious to see how the showground would accommodate the Spring Show.
- A corner of the showground near the Gold Gate will be transformed into a Medieval castle where Mr Deane and his colleagues will demonstrate fighting skills from another era.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.