In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1femenino joyamasculino escaparatemasculino orgullothe hospital was built as a showpiece — el hospital se construyó como un modelo en su género
- With just 12 weeks to go until the Oscars, the Los Angeles Film Critics' Association awards mark the start of the countdown to the showpiece event.
- There has been nothing unsaid about interior decorative showpieces and how they have helped change a drab looking room to a glamorous live-in.
- The showpieces, however, are large picture-frame ornaments crafted from peppermint sticks.
- Before that, there are plenty of significant jumps races around the country today that will be seen as pointers to the two showpiece events at the Cheltenham Festival.
- Articles ranging from showpieces to ornamental jewellery are exhibited.
- On show at the festival are leather goods, clay statuettes, wooden showpieces, handloom garments, jute bags, paper articles, metal crafts and so on.
- Ambitious plans to turn a South Yorkshire museum into a showpiece regional attraction are finally about to come to fruition following a £2m Lottery grant.
- Renowned for attracting top acts to the showpiece event, this year they have excelled themselves by signing up current chart-toppers Hear'say.
- Instead of being used for serving food, it seems far more likely that it formed a showpiece, displayed prominently at its owner's banquets.
- He emphasises that it is not just Normandy veterans who are invited to be at the showpiece event but men and women who served in any capacity in the services during the Second World War.
- The showpiece event takes place the next week on 2 July at Lord's.
- The two new prison blocks were opened this year and were intended to be a showpiece of how prisons should be.
- In contrast with the Unilever sponsored showpiece exhibit was an impromptu display by Banksy, an agit-prop and graffiti artist.
- Early Victorian taste favoured opulence and eclecticism, so exhibition showpieces coexisted with simpler, compact items like Windsor chairs.
- Gifts, decorations, collectibles, showpieces and pieces of art from across the globe are spread out.
- The Wiltshire Buildings Record is running the course on local furniture and interior styles as its showpiece event for this year.
- It's quite a showpiece in the centre and illustrates to children what nature can do.
- The Government was today trying to fend off a torrent of criticism following the latest bail-out for the cash-strapped showpiece attraction.
- It will need swift action and monstrous retribution for it to rediscover credibility before the showpiece event of the season, in Monaco, on May 26-and the suggestion is that neither will come.
- When male spotted bowerbirds collect sticks and other doodads to wow females, these natural interior decorators don't search for the rare showpiece, according to a new study.
- He was just as good with informal portraits as with grand showpieces.
- During the past 15 years, he has converted several thousands of logs into such pieces of art that become fascinating showpieces at houses or institutions.
- The meeting has quickly become a speedway showpiece that also attracts big viewing figures for live coverage on TV.
- The director, himself, says he is giddy with excitement at the prospect of opening the showpiece event, adding that it made him ‘feel more like a teenager than an adult’.
- It is hoped the overhaul will make the museum a showpiece regional attraction which will bring thousands more visitors to the area.
- Impressive debuts for the Bahrain and Beijing circuits, have heaped greater pressure on the British showpiece event.
- Pride at this Highland showpiece event was tangible in the faces of directors and supporters alike before the game.
- In the fourth and fifth round Clarke put on an exhibition showpiece and the result was unanimous in Clarke's favour.
- The figures of Lord Ganesha made of plastic in the showpiece section look attractive with its colour and design.
- He knew these to be just decorative showpieces and feared them not.
- The drawing room of Sunita's apartment near Vellayambalam is adorned with soft-toys, glass and nib paintings and embossed and engraved showpieces.
- The showpiece annual event is being held next month and will be shown on television around Christmas.
- John has announced his resignation after a showpiece event ran up losses of millions of dollars.
- An ambitious programme of events will include a showpiece £5m international arts festival, tipped to rival Edinburgh's in scope and quality.
- The custom-made instrument is the showpiece attraction at Manchester's newest music shop and has been attracting crowds.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.