In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1suspirarto sigh for sth/sb — suspirar por algo/algn
- to sigh with sth
- he sighed with relief/contentment — suspiró aliviado/satisfecho
- the wind sighed in the trees — el viento susurraba entre los árboles
- All he could hear was the wind sighing in the trees and the soft lap of water against the wall surrounding the lake.
- Barth stood a while in the world of mirrored light, his angry breath calmed with the lilting and sighing of the slow wind.
- A breeze sighed through the branches and we came to a glade, a secret place of fir and silver birch.
- For those of you still sighing for what once was, there's also the bonus material, a handful of live tracks from each Queens lineup.
- The words she remembered said, ‘My heart cries for you, sighs for you, dies for you.’
- The heat is not too oppressive, because of the breezes that sigh in from the cool, sparkling Atlantic waters of Table Bay.
- Film buffs in Thrissur, tired of watching classics in the DVD format at art house shows, have been sighing for that matchless experience - seeing the magic unfold on the silver screen.
- The wind sighs in the trees, shushing me to sleep.
- The only sound is the scratching of a crow and the sighing of wind through the trees.
- The joys of rereading might have offered Mallarme a stronger antidote to his ennui than sighing for distant, exotic lands.
- No harm in it so long as we reserve that precious moment to stand quietly and, when appropriate, give a little sigh for those who are no longer here, who can no longer join in the fun.
- The wind sighs in the antlers of a few static deer, a coyote howls.
- The girl could hear the leaves of the trees outside rustle and sigh in the gentle breeze.
- The constant wind that hugs the hill-side seems to sigh at the memory.
1suspiro masculinoto heave a sigh — dar un suspiro
- At Joel's silent answer, Jesse sighed a sigh of regret and anger.
- She heaves a loud, exasperated sigh, and obviously decides it's futile to argue with me.
- Passengers waiting on the platform breathe a collective sigh of exasperation.
- The creature let out what sounded like a tired sigh, dropping down on her haunches.
- You could almost hear the disappointed sighs echoing around the audience.
- Fischer heaved a deep, weary sigh and rested his chin in his hands.
- Alya breathed a heavy sigh of contentment as she washed herself with the wonderfully warm water.
- Klay looked at her and let out a sigh that sounded more like a yawn.
- I sank back in the hot water with a grateful sigh and closed my eyes as the tendrils of steam wound their way across the surface of the pool.
- She continued to improve and her family heaved a sigh of relief and started limping back towards normalcy.
- He let an exasperated sigh escape his lips, what had he done now?
- I heard a loud frustrated sigh on the other end of the door and a loud banging sound.
- They looked at each other for a moment, and then Lisa let out a sigh of what sounded like frustration.
- With a sigh of resignation Matt turned the key and they drove off.
- This time, my mother sighed, and although it's hard to tell from a sigh, she sounded angry.
- The boy stifled a sigh of annoyance but told himself to remain patient.
- He gave off a sigh that sounded like a grumble, but Stephanie didn't seem to have noticed.
- With a sigh of defeat, Razi rose and motioned for Iola to lead.
- He raises his head, looks at me, then makes a sound that is something between a sigh and a moan.
- I don't expect you to run wailing through the streets but couldn't you rustle up a small sigh of regret?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.