- An important ceremony for the Sikhs is the baptism, or initiation into the Sikh religion.
- Although the Sikh God is beyond description Sikhs feel able to pray to God as a person and a friend who cares for them.
- About 60 per cent of the voters are Jat Sikhs who normally vote for the Akali Dal.
- Guru Nanak Dev, founder of the Sikhs, is said to have been influenced by both Hindu and Sufi saints.
- Muslims in India headed en masse for Pakistan, while Hindus and Sikhs made their way in the opposite direction.
- The Sikh Coalition would also like to encourage all Sikhs to wear the kirpan freely.
- Although idol worship is not indicated in Sikhism, many Sikhs attend Hindu temples.
- I was told he was from the anjuman of Sikhs who travel around reciting marsia and salam in the traditions of Muharram.
- The secretary said that in the case of Sikhs, turban is unique compared to other religions.
- At night Sikhs illuminated and decorated their houses and Gurdwaras with candles and electric lights.
- We later learned that they were properly called Sikhs and all had the same last name, Singh.
1(invariable adjective) sij
- And here, too, places of worship sprout, Hindu and Buddhist temples, mosques and Sikh gurudwaras.
- Phulkaris and baghs are commonly worn by Hindu and Sikh women all over Punjab mainly during festivals.
- At the temples, Hindu and Sikh pilgrims wrap rice in a thin pink scarf and place it in the water to be cooked, blessed and then eaten.
- Born in Malaysia to a family of Sikh performers, he now lives in Adelaide.
- Maestro of Sikh music, Dya Singh performs a special concert in Byron.
- As recently as the nineteenth century, much of the area was united under the Sikh nation of Ranjit Singh.
- Tucked between the Kodandarama temple and Manchala Street, it is home to a handful of Sikh families.
- The highest proportion of Sikh people was in Bradford North, while Shipley has the highest number of people who said they did not follow a religion.
- London is the hub of the Indian community and culture in Europe, and home to the largest Hindu and Sikh temples outside India.
- In addition, the Sikh Sabha movement produced a revival in Sikh culture, language, and literature.
- I noticed a number of Sikh families among the pilgrims and decided to approach them.
- This is the communal food hall found in any Sikh temple.
- The turbans of the doormen are the indigo of Sikh warriors, their tunics have sashes in lipstick vermilion.
- The gurudwaras, or Sikh temples, have always been decorated with pictures of Hindu devas and devis.
- Silinder Pardesi started his singing career at a very young age, singing in Sikh temples and being influenced by his idol Mohd.
- He is an Indian national of Sikh origin from Punjab.
- This hymn-singing is called Kirtan, and is an essential part of Sikh worship.
- Harbans recently met his brothers by chance at Lahore during a pilgrimage tour to Sikh shrines in Pakistan.
- This month Gravesend's Sikh community is celebrating its most important festival Vaisahki, the birth of its religion.
- The presentations focused on general principles and beliefs of Sikhism and the Sikh identity.