In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The breathing of coal and rock dust causes black lung, the common name given to the lung diseases pneumoconiosis and silicosis.
- In the concentration camp he had contracted silicosis, a lung disease similar to a combination of tuberculosis and emphysema from breathing in the fine dust that filtered through the cracks in the walls and floors.
- For those that don't know, silicosis is an occupational lung disease that can be fatal.
- He had worked in a brickyard for years and got silicosis from the dust in his lungs.
- Patients with silicosis are at increased risk of contracting tuberculosis.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.