- Although adjacent to dense forests altered by silviculture, vegetation in the swale resembles that of boggy pine savannas or flatwoods.
- Central to their beliefs was the idea that small farmers and trees did not mix, that agriculture and silviculture did not mix.
- Five sites each occurred within forested landscapes disturbed by agriculture and those disturbed by silviculture.
- Experience from other countries shows that major gains in forest productivity can result from incremental or intensive silviculture combined with improvements to tree species.
- Current activities, such as navigation channel dredging, hydroelectric power production, agriculture, and silviculture, will not be stopped by the listing of the sturgeon.