In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It certainly is much better than a single-seater car, especially Formula One where the spray has a dramatic impact upon driver vision.
- A single-seater aircraft, it looked rather tiny, but the 37 mm cannon in its nose, its barrel protruding through the propeller boss, was not.
- Wilbur reportedly won the right over his brother to pilot their hand-built single-seater plane on the toss of a coin.
- The single-seater car is also equipped with a tape recorder which keeps playing pre-recorded messages about cricket history.
- As has been stated above one of the main fuel tanks was removed from the fuselage in order to adapt the aircraft from its original single-seater design.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.