In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Then make French toast (dipped in egg, single cream, golden icing sugar and Grand Marnier or similar), and sprinkle with raw blueberries and a dollop of yogurt.
- Return the mixture to a clean pan and cook over a low heat, stirring until it has thickened to the consistency of single cream (it thickens as it cools).
- Whizz them with the single cream, sugar and a dash of lemon juice in a blender.
- Gooseberry fool, gooseberry tart (with a sprinkling of sugar and some single cream poured over it) are both heavenly.
- Add coconut milk, single cream and salt to taste.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.