In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Others had on only singlets and cotton trousers as they jumped into the water.
- Winter has settled in, you're not wearing a singlet under your business shirt and you have your first sneeze… she thinks you caught pneumonia and you're going to die.
- Tommy is wearing a baseball cap, a singlet and combat shorts, revealing several tattoos.
- Alas, after a while, the sight of board shorts, singlets, jandals and sunglasses will make you wince.
- Equally as beautiful as his womenswear, this featured plain white singlets studded with gold sequins, low-slung cream trousers and kimono print shirts.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.