In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(circumstances, position)situación femeninothe police have the situation under control — la policía tiene controlada la situación
- the international economic/political situation — la situación económica/política internacional
- a crisis situation — una (situación de) crisis
- in the classroom situation, children … — en el ámbito de la clase, los niños …
- We dread the idea that we'll be stuck in a situation that might be dangerous.
- Three police constables have received awards for their bravery in dealing with dangerous situations.
- One would hardly expect the authority to leave the child in a dangerous situation, after all.
- I agree with Fair Trade people when it comes to most economic and political situations.
- On occasions I've been placed in situations I would consider dangerous.
- I searched for drugs in every town we worked in and I got into some dangerous situations but I was lucky to get out unharmed.
- Children attending the camp will learn how to identify dangerous situations and act accordingly.
- Sometimes we get in dangerous situations that can't be overcome by one person alone.
- They said driving lessons and tests should include motorway and night driving and handling dangerous situations.
- Rescuing women from dangerous situations might come easy to heroes in a script.
- He says there's a way of ensuring they won't become a hazard in such dangerous situations.
- I write to inform you about the dangerous situation which is occurring at Bedwyn station.
- How many times have you been in one of these dangerous situations and wished you knew exactly what to do?
- I am more or less used to it because this is not the first time I've been in dangerous situations.
- If your thoughts are good and creative then you don't need to worry about the situations and circumstances.
- Children should be taught to be assertive, but to walk away from dangerous situations.
- The worst of the economic crisis may be over, but the political situation is far from decided.
- We know that not all emergency situations turn out the way we would like them.
- Time and time again he reacted quickly to dangerous situations.
- As evening approached, the situation was becoming rather dangerous for the team.
2formal(job)empleo masculino[ S ]situations vacant/wanted — ofertas/demandas de empleo
3(setting)situación femeninoubicación femenino América Latinaemplazamiento masculino formal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.