In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1argot masculino(expression/term) (before noun) argóticoarmy/student slang — argot militar/estudiantil masculino
- All those obscenities and repeated slang phrases may be authentic but they tend to impoverish the language of his books.
- Worse still, we happily appropriate other nation's slang terms as our own.
- All their songs were full of slang phrases and raps.
- But the best thing about Braff's report is his delight over our national slang words.
- It also results in the legitimate public use of words that in other contexts are regarded as slang.
- Many words in English have obscure origins, particularly those which may be said to have risen in the world from lowly origins in argot, cant or slang.
- Tibetans liberally sprinkle proverbs into daily conversations as a substitute for slang phrases.
- Imagine Logan's glee that day when he received a hundred emails with every dirty slang word I could think of.
- The repeated word doesn't have to be slang, or a greeting, or anything else in particular.
- Previous studies of slang terms for female and/or male genitalia have found rich variety.
- In the article about slang words used by different Western nationalities, we have this gem.
- The use of slang has been common among doctors for years, despite official disapproval of derogatory terms.
- It's hard enough for me to understand English with all these slang words kids are trying to add to it.
- The kid who knew and used the latest slang word was definitely a higher grade than the kid who hadn't used it.
- New slang terms appear to fit within the same categories, rather than radically challenging them.
- We found that respondents disagreed about the specific meaning of even the most common slang terms.
- He would use rhyming slang for words that were slang already.
- But I see from the list there's no mention of the gay slang language of Polari?
- The older slang meaning of the phrase is a hollow sarcastic obedience.
- Analysis of the semantic or metaphorical categories in genital slang is not common.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.